Drew's POV

I scrambled up off the floor and dusted myself down.
"L-Laurence?" I called, opening the bedroom door.
However, I was not prepared for the sight before me.

The house was a wreck. Our once happy home was broken and deserted.
"Laurence!" I cried in sheer desperation. But a part of me knew he wasn't here.
I couldn't give up though.
Laurence was my whole world. He found me on the street when I was just a kitten.
My family had been killed in a fire in the family bakery, leading me to fend for myself for a year, aged just six.

I remember that day well. I was sat outside the fruit stand in the town market, hoping someone would help me, when suddenly a figure in a floor length black cape walked by. They stopped in front of me and pulled down their hood. I looked up and was met with piercing, yet curious green eyes, lined with heavy black make up. The man crouched down in front of me before he spoke.
"Hey, kid. Are you okay?" His voice was gentle and soothing against the bitter wind and dripping rain.
I shivered in reply.
He smiled gently before removing his cape and wrapping it around me.
"Come with me a second. I won't hurt you, I promise." The man extended a glove clad hand towards me. With a shaking hand, I took it. He pulled me up and with my other hand I held the cape closed.
"I think that may be a bit too long for you!" he laughed. I looked behind me. The cape was dragging along the floor. Even I had to laugh.
Eventually we stopped outside the newly build bakery. he placed the basket he was carrying on the floor and told me to stay put whilst he went inside.
I did as I was told and curiosity got the best of me. I lifted the cloth covering the basket and noticed it was full of herbs and strange liquids. Suddenly the bell on the bakery door sounded and I rushed to replace the cloth.
"Sneaking a peak, was you?" The man laughed. I shook my head, even though I knew he'd seen me. It was then that I noticed the white box in his hands. "Here, this is for you. Figured you needed it." He handed me the box and I looked up at him. "Go on! You're way too skinny. Eat up!"
I slowly opened the box. It was filled to the brim with cakes and fresh bread. The smell was divine, I hardly noticed my stomach loudly growling.
"Where do you live? I can take you home if you like." The cakes were soon forgotten. I looked down at my feet and sniffed.
"Wherever there's shelter, mister."
"Ah. I see..." He whispered after a short moment of silence. "So, what's your name, kiddo?"
"I-I'm Drew."
"Well, Drew. I'm Laurence. It's very nice to meet you." He shook my hand making me giggle. "Now then, Drew. I'm sure your mother gave you the whole 'don't talk to strangers, blah blah blah, but we can't have you living out here. C'mon."  Laurence picked up his basket and once again held out his hand. he was right, mum did say, but what's the worst that could happen? Something told me I could trust this guy and boy was I right. I quickly shoved a piece of bread in my mouth before taking his hand. After a very long walk through town and the forest, we finally approached a beautiful cottage. Smoke was gently blowing from the chimney and there was flowers everywhere. Lillies, roses, lavender. Thick ivy climbed up the walls of the house and through the thatched roof.
"Well, what do you think?" Laurence asked.
"It's... it's real pretty..." I gasped. In all my years in the town, I had never seen a house like this before.
"Good!" He smiled. "'Cause this is your new home."
I had to stop myself from jumping up and down and running around in circles with glee.

"You know, you have strange eyes..." Laurence said as we walked through the front door. "They're very... Cat like."

"Where are you, Bevers?" I whimpered as I crawled into the spilled cauldron.

I must have fallen asleep as the next thing I knew, there were footsteps approaching. I shot up, almost hitting my head on the metal of the large pot.
"Hello? Anyone here?" A deep voice called. I cautiously sashayed out and hid under the table. A pair of black buckled boots suddenly came into my view and this mystery person walked past.
I slowly crept out behind them. They wore black jeans, a white shirt and a black waistcoat. His hair was shaggy and very much the same colour as mine. Tangled amoungst the scruff sat a pair of brass goggles. They turned around and my heart skipped a beat. Damn, he was beautiful.
"Oh, hey there, little guy." He smiled, crouching down and running a hand over my fur. Normally, I don't like being touched, but this was an exception. I couldn't help my purrs as his delicate yet strong hand brushed over my ears.

Oh, did I mention I'm a shape shifter? Yeah.

"I was walking past and I heard loud noises... Do you know what happened here?" He asked, probably not realising that I could understand him. I meowed quietly, hoping that would give him an answer.
"Hmm. I guess not then. Where's your owner?"
I don't have one! Rude. "Meow!
"Okay, okay! Did... Did they take him?"
Yes! Yes you have to help me find him! "Mew! Meow mew!"
"Hmmm. That's not good. Come with me." He said, standing back up.
Absolutely not! I ain't leaving here! It's dark outside! "Mewwwwww meowww!"
"Fair enough." He sighed. "But I can't just leave you here. Do you mind if I stay here tonight? It's a long walk back into town..."
YES. And you can sleep in my bed. Mwahaha. "Mew mew!" I rubbed my face against his leg which made him laugh.
"Thank you, little one." I watched as he walked towards the kitchen and came back with a saucer of milk.

I like this guy. I think I'll keep him...