Stuck in 1962

A 17 year old silver haired girl sat in a shiny diner, her clothing stood out from what really should be worn. A worn out leather jacket, a black shirt and white jeans. This young person just so happens to be Mercy Naxxremis, a mutant, with the power to time travel.

Mercy hummed while tapping her fingers on the cold metal table in front of her. She was stuck there in Chicago 1962. 'This is your fault Mercy, you can't control you stupid power and now you are stuck again. Way to go.' She shook her head.

Occasionally people would walk by and stare at her, like she was a animal or some sort of freak. Sometimes a family would walk by and the children would wave at her through the window as the parents drag them away from the strange girl in the shiny diner.

The cold air in the dinner made it uncomfortable for Mercy for all the thoughts in her head were taunting her, but only one thought stood out from the most. She was homeless. Mercy was caught in a time period that she has not been to. 'Where's Peggy Carter when you need her?' was another thought. When she got caught up in 1946 she stayed with Peggy, but after two months, Mercy disappeared into the timestream.

(Mercy's POV.)

I looked around at the others in the diner, just a small amount of people and the workers. The diner was one I was familiar with in the past. I looked at the almost blank resume in front of me on the cold metal table. Every fibre of my being was wanting to go back to 2017, back to where I know what history and what's happening. I couldn't even make it to that Xavier school thing before my stupid powers went off.

I tapped the pencil in my hand against the metal of the table. I knew people would look over but I didn't care.Then there was a bell sound, indicating the opening of the door. I quit tapping and switched to chewing on the end of the borrowed pencil. I didn't want to irritate them if they were doing something important.

"Are these seats taken?" a british voice asked from my right. I ignored him, continuing to stare at the paper in front of me.

"Charles, she's ignoring you," another voice said.

"I can see that, Erik," I lifted my head slightly at the names.

"Charles, Charles Xavier. Surprising to see you here." I said while looked up at the two men.

"Brilliant; another telepath!" Charles exclaimed, his face lighting up. I shook my head.

"No, but I know you when you are both older, very old." They looked surprised. "But now's not the time for your questions., I have things to do; meet me here tomorrow and then we can talk," I said, getting up from my table and exiting the diner.

Walking in a general direction I looked for a comfortable place to sleep for the night. The alleyways seemed gross and not a good place to be at, especially when you are sleeping there in the dark. The safest bet was to find an abandoned building or a park, at least I have an half an hour or maybe an hour to find a place. My lanky shadow following me as I keep my head down, not looking at the people that passed by me. People. Normal everyday humans who can go through a normal day without accidentally zapping themselves to another place, another time. They had perfectly normal families that live in perfectly normal homes with perfectly normal jobs. I often think of maybe for once I can find the year they come up the cure for mutant powers and I can lead a semi normal life. Without having to change my hair color and how I dress, but in the end I guess it's fine. As long as I don't interfere with important events, such as the like of death.

I yawned, small clouds made of my breath disappeared within seconds. The temperature had dropped considerably low. I zipped up my jacket and wrapped my arms around myself in an attempt to warm myself. The sky got darker as I picked up my pace to find a nice place to sleep. I turned down an empty street as the street lights turned on to give light to the darkness. I looked around and see a small path covered in dirt. It was quite dark with the path having branches and bushes covering it, almost like no one ever comes down here, strange. I started down the path as a gust of freezing cold wind passed me. I shuddered as the familiar feeling of loneliness settle over me.

As I reached the end of the path, a small park with all its equipment rusted and two benches with rotten wood came into view. 'I guess I'll sleep on the ground for tonight.' I walked into the park, flattening the long grass as I took my steps. I sat down on the grass. Holding my legs to my chest, I looked at the cloudy sky."Good night, Earth. Maybe I can make things right for once," I whispered to myself before lying down, curled up and drifted off to sleep.