Chapter 8 - The Spy and the Boyband

I stand there for a minute, just watching him. I don’t think anyone’s noticed me yet, but to be on the safe side, I quickly slide into one of the many rows of seats and sit down in the chair right next to the wall. I sink down into it so I can just barely see over the seats in front of me. I’m pretty sure I’m out of sight now.

            I look back at the boys. The short black haired one, I think Sarah said his name’s Zayn, is holding out a long beautiful note and letting it fade. They finish singing and the group of people standing around them clap. Well, all except one. A tall, fairly bulking man with short black hair, Simon Cowell, steps forward.

            “That was good boys, but can we try moving with the music a bit more?”

            “Come on Simon,” the blonde Irish boy, Niall laughs. “You know we can’t dance.” The four other boys laugh with him in agreement.

            “I’m not asking you to dance, just…” he trails off, trying to find the right word. “Move.” He makes a weird gesture with his arms, showing the boys to loosen up a little.

            “Oh, you mean like this.” My brother laughs sarcastically and does a very dramatic hip thrust. Well, there’s a sight I’ll never be able to unsee! The boys all laugh hysterically and join in the fun. A few minutes pass and I’ve seen each one of them hip thrust so many times this is now what I’ll think about every time I hear One Direction. See, yep, definitely picturing their hip thrusting again. Go away mental images! That’s my brother over there and this is just gross!

            “Alright boys, that’s enough.” A new guy speaks up. His accent’s American and catches me off guard. Wait! Sarah told me they have an American vocal coach, but what is his name?!

            The boys pout and whine in unison. “Aw, Savan!”

            Savan Kotecha! That’s it! Hmm… I’ll definitely have to befriend Savan. We can talk American together. I giggle to myself and out of the corner of my eye I catch Niall looking over in my general direction. Crap! I duck my head between my knees and go silent.

            “So boys, its Halloween this week, how would you like to look for the performance?” I don’t look up cause I’m scared Niall, or someone else will see me, but I know that’s Simon.

            “How about zombies?” That’s Liam.

            “Nah, someone’s already taken that.” There’s Savan.

            “Who?” And now my brother.

            “I’m not gonna tell you.” Savan laughs.

            “Vampires?” If I’m remembering right, that’s Zayn.

            “I like it,” Simon says. “What do you think boys?”

            “Sounds good.” Liam.

            “Cool! Like Twilight?” Harry.

            “Can we wear ripped clothes and pale makeup?” Or course Louis would ask the weird questions. I should have known.

            “Sure,” Savan laughs. “What about you, Niall? Niall?! Where’d he go?”

            “He’s over there.”

            “Niall what are you…”

            “Well, hello there.”

            I jump, hitting my head on the seat in front of me. The noise echoes through the room.

            “Oh, careful love,” his gentle Irish accent laughs at me. I look up slowly, but I know he’s there before I see him. Niall Horan stands over me, looking down with a playful smirk on his face. “Hi,” he says quietly and waves at me.

            I smile awkwardly and wave back. “Hi.”