Chapter Twelve

“This cake tastes good! I’m sure it would be one of the best sellers when we open.”

“I’m hopeful that each and everything we bake would be a best seller in our café,” Lisa said as she cut a thick slice of red velvet cheesecake and placed it into a white box carefully.

The other person laughed and patted Lisa’s back. “Most definitely. We’ve put in so much effort into setting up this café. Our dream is going to be fulfilled soon. I’m so excited about it!”

“Me too!” Lisa beamed.

“Packing this cake for the food critic? She has tasted so many of your creations but I’ve not met her in person yet. Invite her to the opening of the café. I would love to meet the person who managed to capture the heart of my old pal.”

“Ya Kim Jisoo! Don’t make assumptions. She’s just an ordinary friend,” Lisa retorted.

Jisoo raised her eyebrows and stared at her friend.

“You’d think I don’t know your inner thoughts after being friends with you for more than twenty years? I can see right through your soul, right till the point I know when you’re about to fart!” Jisoo burst out in laughter.

Lisa raised her leg and gave Jisoo’s butt a kick. “Stop teasing me. Too bad she won’t be mine.”

“She’s attached?” Jisoo was puzzled by Lisa’s reply.

“No she’s not…it’s a long story. I’ll tell you when the time is ripe.”

“As long as she’s single, you stand a chance, my pal. Do something about it. It’s getting late now. Go deliver the fruit of your labour to her before the cream starts to melt. I’ll pack up,” Jisoo urged, patting Lisa on her back.

“Thanks Chu. Owe you one,” Lisa said as she left the café.

“You’re never going to be able to clear your debt, pal!” Jisoo called out.

~*~*~*~

On the way to Jennie’s house, Lisa thought about the words Jisoo said.

As long she’s single, you stand a chance.

Parking her car at the visitor’s lot, she headed towards the lift.

Do I have a chance at all?

Lisa was lost in her thoughts and didn’t realise that the lift door was open. There was a brunette standing in front of her, tapping her feet with her arms crossed in front of her chest.

“Dreaming of someone else besides me?” Jennie asked jokingly.

Yes, I’ll fight for my chance. Opportunities are created by humans. Nothing will happen if I wait like a sitting duck.

“I was just thinking of creative ways to eat this delicious red velvet cheesecake that I just baked. Maybe I could lick the cream off your lips after you’ve taken the first bite or maybe even smear them on your face instead?” Lisa smiled mischievously.

“You naughty little thing!” Jennie held Lisa by her sleeve and pulled her into the house.

~*~*~*~

Over the duration of the next two weeks, Lisa stayed over at Jennie’s apartment several times. It was the best place to meet since it was situated in a quiet neighbourhood and relatively near the café which Lisa owned. Lisa often visited the café after her classes at the Seoul Culinary Academy in order to help prepare the café for its official opening.