Chapter Eighteen

Jennie stopped just behind the person who was sitting at the table. She took a deep breath and went to the side of the table so that she could get a clearer look at the person. The person rose from her seat when she saw Jennie standing at the table. The moment their eyes met, Jennie let out a high-pitched shriek.

“You idiot!”

Lisa had a bewildered expression on her face. Jennie took the trouble to look for her at this café and yet her opening sentence was to yell at her. This reaction was totally unexpected and she was stunned.

After all these months…she is still angry at me for that evening?

“You’re an idiot,” Jennie repeated in a firm tone. The unexpected reunion was giving her a burst of emotions. Words couldn’t describe the overflowing emotions and memories that Jennie was feeling.

“You’re the most sought after idiot!” Jennie’s voice shook a little. She wriggled her index finger at Lisa while trying to collect her thoughts.

Lisa suddenly smiled when she knew the reason for Jennie’s reaction. She held Jennie’s outstretched hand in hers. It felt cold, as always.

I missed you so much. I’m glad you missed me too.

“No, I’m not. I’m the most sought after baker and you’re the most sought after project manager, that’s why we are here. That’s why we meet again,” Lisa teased. She placed Jennie’s hand on her cheek.

Jennie felt her pulse increase upon touching Lisa’s warm cheek. She hit Lisa’s shoulders with both hands. “You’re an idiot for causing sleepless nights, for making me avoid all my favourite cakes just because I didn’t want to be reminded of you…”

Lisa grabbed Jennie’s hands and pulled the woman towards her. She silenced the brunette with her lips as they collapsed onto the booth-type seat with Lisa at the bottom and Jennie landing onto Lisa. Lisa placed a hand behind Jennie’s head and shifted her own body so that they could continue kissing in a more comfortable position.

A few minutes later, their lips disconnected from each other, their noses still touching as Lisa cupped Jennie’s face in her hands.

“Your lips are made for kissing, not for yelling at me,” Lisa joked, grinning from ear to ear.

She didn’t reject me…she…LIKES ME! Yippee!!

Jennie’s face turned as red as beetroot. Both of them slowly sat upright in the seat and Lisa stole another quick kiss from Jennie.

“Why are you here?” Jennie asked abruptly.

Lisa related her story of how she ended up in Los Angeles to Jennie. While studying in Japan, Lisa’s mentor Suzuki-san invited her and a few of his staff to attend the American Baker’s Association’s conference in Los Angeles, thinking it would be good exposure for her. Lisa was glad to accept the invite since it was a rare opportunity to visit such a faraway country.

Lisa hadn’t planned on joining Suzuki san and his staff at the club that night. She wanted to rest in the hotel and finish up an article she was contributing for the food review section of a lifestyle magazine. However, Suzuki-san was a persuasive person and managed to convince Lisa to attend the party.

“You knew it was me behind that mask but you deliberately teased me during that song!” Jennie slapped Lisa’s thighs. Oisa slid her arm around Jennie’s waist, gently patting Jennie’s thigh.