Chapter 10 - How Deep is Your Love?

3 months have passed since the heroes returned from Lake Ichijoji. School has already started again, and business is as usual. School life has been relatively calm for the students, there haven't been any attacks or mishaps since the encounter with Time Travel. Izuku arrives to class in the morning, and notices several of his classmates are putting up signs and posters for the annual UA Homecoming Dance in 2 weeks. The theme is Halloween, since it's October. He completely forgot about the dance. He's been somewhat anxious about it, since nothing has really happened between him and Uraraka ever since their 'date' at the diner.

Kirishima comes up from behind Izuku and picks him up by the waist.

"Hey Midoriya! Boy you've been beefing up, bro!" Kirishima says, squeezing him and feeling his muscles.

Izuku lets out his recognizable yelp, being startled by Kirishima. "Gee, thanks Kirishima.." he adds.

Kirishima puts him down and pats his back. "Hey, do you have a date for the homecoming dance?" Kirishima asks.

"Uh, no, not as of right now.." Izuku replies.

"What?!" Kirishima says rather loudly. The other classmates turn and look at them. Kirishima notices and he leans in and whispers to Izuku. "I thought you and Uraraka were a thing?"

"Who told you that?" Izuku asks.

"Come on Midoriya, everyone knows about it! It's so obvious!" Kirishima responds.

Izuku thinks to himself. He didn't think it was that obvious.

"Well, I haven't asked her yet.." Izuku says.

"Come on bro! It'll be fun!" Kirishima says.

"Well, do you have a date?" Izuku asks.

Kirishima sighs. "Yup! I'm going with Ashido!"

"Oh wow, that's cool!" Izuku responds.

Right after, Aizawa walks in and class starts. They all take their seats and class begins. Midoriya thinks a lot about how he would ask Uraraka, and when the perfect time would be, and what the perfect choice of words would be and how he would string those words together eloquently. Should he use a sign? Or should he write a note? Kirishima and Ashido, Bakugou and Yaoyorozu, Sero and Tsu, Kaminari and Jirou, and Todoroki and Hagakure have already asked each other to the dance (if you are wondering why those pairs are chosen, I recommend you read my previous story, My Hero Academia: Trouble In Summertime).

When class ends for the day, Izuku immediately ran over to the nearest department store. Outside, it is a relatively cloudy day, but still warm. He decides that a sign would be the best option, and gathers all the supplies that he'll need. He already knows exactly what the sign would look like. He runs to his dorm, supplies in hand, occasionally dropping a few bottles of paint and running back and picking them up. At his desk, he gets to work creating a sign that he believes Uraraka would love. After three hours of designing and sketching, painting and finishing, drying and waiting, his sign is complete. He stands back and looks at it, proud of what he's done.

"I think she'll love it!" Izuku says to himself confidently. He picks it up and carries it out of his room, running over to Uraraka's dorm. He knocks on the door and waits patiently. A few seconds pass, and the door does not open. Izuku knocks again, but nothing. Eventually, Ashido walks by and sees him.

"Hey Midoriya, you looking for Ochako?" she asks.

"Yeah, do you know where she is?" he asks.

"I just saw her. She's down at the school cafeteria, Ashido replies. She notices the sign he's holding. "Oh my god, is that for her?!" Ashido's face turns red and she gets very excited.

"Yeah, thanks for letting me know where she is! Catch you later!" Izuku says, taking off for the cafeteria building. As he gets outside and begins walking towards the cafeteria, raindrops start to fall almost instantly.

"Oh no, no no no!" Izuku says, looking as the raindrops make contact with the sign and smear the paint. He tries to shield it from the rain, but it just makes the paint smear even more. He tries to run towards the nearest shade or area where the rain doesn't hit, but it's far too late. The sign is ruined. Izuku falls to his knees, the drenched sign in his hands. A tear falls down his face. "This can't be happening, why didn't I cover it with something? Why couldn't I have just waited for her to come back..DAMN IT!" he says to himself in his mind, hating himself for the mistake he committed.

"Deku..?" Uraraka asks, seeing him on his knees in the pouring rain. Izuku turns to look at her, his eyes watering. She has her umbrella and coat, and gets close enough to Izuku so that he's shielded from the rain as well. Upon getting closer, she sees the sign he had made, and despite it being smeared, it's still pretty legible. She smiles, and puts a hand over her mouth. Then, she begins to cry.

"Deku..you made this for me?" she asks.

"Y-yeah..listen Uraraka, I'm so sorry..but I ran out trying to find you and then it started raining and-" Izuku says before being interrupted by Uraraka's warm embrace. Her embrace feels so comfortable and blissful. Izuku, initially shocked, calms down a bit and puts his arms around her as well.

"Of course I'll go with you Deku.." she says, looking up at him. Now, at this point, Izuku felt a particular way that he had never quite felt before. Seeing her looking at him, he completely forgot that they were in the pouring rain. He forgot all about the sign, he forgot about everything except Uraraka. In that moment, his whole world was her.

The best way to describe how they both felt is represented in the song "How Deep is Your Love":

"I know your eyes in the morning sun

I feel you touch me in the pouring rain

And the moment that you wander far from me

I want to feel you in my arms again

And you come to me on a summer breeze

Keep me warm in your love, then you softly leave

And it's me you need to show

How deep is your love?"