The Belly of the Beast

Danny

11:56

(9hrs, 12min to catch the last shuttle)

Shortly after getting off the phone with Beau Tie, Danny had let the stolen cell phone fall from a crossover bridge into the ocean below. It seemed a waste, but that thing would shortly lead the police to him, and Danny was allergic to pork. Besides, now he had $50,000 in his—or rather, Mrs. Kundertson's—account.

Danny's next stop had been at a shop where he bought a cheap cell phone with some of that money. It wasn't a very nice model, but at least it was legal and wouldn't draw the law down on him. Next, Danny bought himself a set of clothes, a costume really, of an electrician. He brushed his long hair, tied it back into a ponytail, and tossed the clothes he'd gotten that morning from Norbert Marshall into the trash can at the store. It really felt good to have shoes again.

It was about this time that Danny heard from Marcio again:

Everything in place here. The power is mine to control. Never underestimate the power of the mind.

I'll bet he thinks that play on words makes him witty, Danny thought. Danny wasn't ready yet, so he'd just responded:

Okay. Standby.

It took some doing, but Danny managed to steal a tool belt from the back of an electrician's service van. He could have just bought a tool belt, but it would look suspicious if he showed up with a new belt full of new tools. He needed a worn belt with well-loved tools. Besides, he wasn't an electrician. He had no idea what tools he would need to buy. Easier just to steal a set from a legitimate electrician. How do you find an electrician's service van? You call one to a random business for emergency service. Then, you wait across the street. While the electrician is distracted arguing with the business owner about the expense of the emergency call and to whom they can bill it, you sneak into the back of the service van and grab whatever you need.

Now, with a belt full of tools and a blue collared work shirt with his current name on its lapel, Danny looked for all the world like a broad-shouldered, narrow-hipped, working man.

Danny hated work. He'd never worked a day in his life if he could help it. Working was not his style. Danny would work harder at getting out of work than he would have to work at any job. He had a strong work ethic; he considered himself strongly and ethically opposed to work.

Once he was in position just down the street from the Paradox Hotel, he texted Marcio back:

Ready now.

Okay.

You're certain that the goons that caught me last night are out in the city looking for me? It would end our plans real quick if I stepped off that elevator and got recognized.

Yeah. Apparently they don't know exactly where they left you. Miles is pissed at them.

Ha-ha! Morons. Do like I said and I think this Sky can be manipulated into calling for an electrician. Text me as soon as he calls for the electrician.

I don't see why it's so important that Sky call you in. Why not me?

I don't want to risk drawing any more attention to you. Sky needs to feel superior to you and that is what we are going to use to get him to help us. Besides, I need to talk to Sky. I need to get a read on him.

No way is Sky helping us. I'm telling you.

Not willingly. But let me worry about all that. You hack the computers and I'll hack the people.