Part IX: Lumi II

Golden rays of sunshine that worked as my alarm clock filled the entire room. I loved being in sunshine but I couldn't sleep in a completely bright room. As I looked through the window I noticed that the snow finally stopped falling. The streets were busy once again and many people in thick winter clothes passed by. I'll investigate everything about this town today. I put on the winter cloak Akios gave me and headed out of the room.

"Mistress! " Leo immediately greeted me when I stepped out of the room."Calytrix!"

It still felt surreal that I had my own zombie. He acted quite normal and I was still unsure how to behave towards him. Was it okay to keep treating him human? As a zombie, Leo was under the master's influence but I wasn't sure if that was everything a zombie had. Did Leo keep his free will?

I decided that it was the best for me and him to take separate action. Leo didn't oppose my proposition and we went our separate after we left the inn. Maybe he could never oppose me because he was my zombie but I wasn't sure. Our main task today was to trace the witch I saw yesterday and find out what did Akios do in town.

I felt great because I was free from pain which meant I could take my time to explore but none of the people I encountered wondering around didn't seem friendly. They didn't seem to like chatting with strangers so I couldn't get information from them. I revisited all of the places I've been yesterday but everything seeemd ordinary.

As I searched for information I bumped into Leo. I avoided eye contact when we were talking which he didn't seem to mind. His eyes reminded me  of black magic fat too much, of something that wasn't meant to be meddled with.

Leo didn't find out anything either. We decided to look around the town one more time to see if we may have overlooked anything but as we went our separate ways I heard a loud crashing sound.

A cart carrying too much mining equipment and iron stopped in the middle of a narrow street. It's contents fell all around it. I didn't take much note of it until I saw that Leo's legs were buried underneath a pile of iron. The man who was pushing the cart removed his hood to show a concerned red face. He was shouting at Leo while trying o remove the iron that was on him. Leo looked fine and didn't seem to be concerned with the situation.

"Are you blind? How could you just walk straight and crush into my wagon?" the man said in a loud voice.

"Sorry. I didn't see you there," Leo calmly said.

"It's not my fault if you broke your leg! I won't pay you for any damage!" the man shouted angrily.

I had to step in. Leo probably damaged something and I didn't want the townsfolk to find out his true nature.

"My friend often has his head in the clouds but he is a really lucky guy." I jumped in between the man and Leo. "He's such a lucky guy that I'm sure he probably didn't break anything even in this situation."

"Move it, missy, " the man pushed me to the side as he said this. "This is a problem between the two of us."

He removed the last iron pile that covered Leo and we clearly saw completely shattered legs.

"By the spirits!" The man screamed and fell to his knees.

I was also horrified by the sight but I couldn't look away because Leo was now my responsibility. The man looked at the ground and seemed to be was crying. He was probably feeling guilty but in the meanwhile, Leo stayed completely calm.

"Mistress. You came back to get me. Do you want to explore the town together?" Leo asked me with a smile.

I was supposed to stop Leo from talking too much but his calmness shocked me too. It was like he wasn't aware of himself. He couldn't feel any pain anymore but having both of your legs shattered was still supposed to be a big deal. I heard some dissatisfied mumbles of onlookers.