| chapter twenty two

There are those kinds of people in your life that are known to be happy, joyful, and can smile when times are tough. You know that their eagerness and possibly naiveness makes them who they are, and some people find it fascinating to watch them shine. But like every human being, all of us have days where we want to close our eyes and let the next day come. We have bad and off days where the light in our eyes or our energy just seems drained from our bodies that we walk around with our lips glued shut and mind off somewhere else.

Now, taking the fact that so-and-so is always there to brighten someone, what happens when we see that their light is gone and replaced by a lost soul? I'm sure we all know what a blank stare looks like on someone. Thinking about someone who is loud and practically emits energy turning into a walking puppet is hard to see. It feels wrong to see them like this, that dead stare, lifeless eyes, and clipped speech doesn't suit them. I may get angry comments for saying this, but I'm sure nobody wants to be lifeless - metaphorically speaking - and emotionally dead. When I say emotionally dead, I mean depression. Nobody wants that. I don't believe anyone wants that. 

But I bet there are people out there, maybe they aren't an expert at this, who don't want to see people like that and do everything they can to help so one day, they'll be able to see a spark.

X X X

"You make this so boring, come on," Shatteredstar whined like a kit, sitting down. Mothpaw kept quiet with the tom's paw on her back, watching the scene unfold. It threw her off guard that the leader had the impatience of a kit and the strength of ten warriors. The gray she-cat looked rather bored and didn't seem affected that her cats were outside fighting for their life against MeadowClan and CinderClan's forces. The other cats in the room were a she-cat who held down a wrestling Lightningpaw and two toms.

Stonepaw didn't say anything and kept his mouth shut. The gray she-cat standing in front of him resembled a starving rouge rather than a leader, and the peckish look in her eyes gave Mothpaw more than enough reasons to believe she was insane. Kinda like Aspenstar, when she thought about it. Shatteredstar rolled around like a kit until she bumped into Lightningpaw, who lashed out, claws scoring across her flank.

With that, she stopped and raised a threatening eyebrow. The apprentices went silent as the she-cat pulled herself up, legs quivering. The attack didn't faze her, but the fact the little tom attempted to scratch her seemed to catch her interest. Mothpaw shrank lower to the ground, keeping her eyes low, trying to hide even more. She did steal glances at the entrance of the den for a cat to come tumbling in. 

In the far corner, she spotted Sagefeather, the queen who she believed was dead, keeping a watchful eye on the MeadowClan cats. However, she didn't act, and all she did was slide back into the make-shift nest she rested in. 

"Why is your name Shatteredstar?" Lightningpaw snarled, swallowing his fear. "No cat like you should ever have a name like that."

"How rude," the she-cat said with a pout, shoulders dropping. "I guess you could consider my name as a mockery, but then again, I think a name is something special, there's no need to be ashamed of it. Does it bother you too much?" She leaned closer like an incoming snake, and the gray apprentice squirmed under the cat above him. Stonepaw let out a low growl, catching her attention.

Come on, Ashstar, Mothpaw prayed, squeezing her eyes shut. Find this den already! 

"You should never have star at the end of your name!" Lightningpaw protested, gaining his confidence, pushing himself onto his paws. The tom pinning him down looked amused, but his hold on the CinderClan apprentice didn't falter. Shatteredstar twirled on her feet, excitement sparking inside. "Only true warriors have that! You aren't one!"