Chapter 4

I couldn't remember the last time I slept so soundly. Danny had wrapped her body around mine sometime throughout the night. The time on the clock read eight forty-five. I wondered if she was going to go home when she woke. Her face looked so peaceful. Her make-up had made it through the night. She was still in a deep sleep. I managed to pull myself away without waking her up. Throwing on some clothes, I headed towards the kitchen.

As I came around the corner, I could see my mother walking with Marie up the driveway. Anger pulsated through me. Why were they here? When I opened the door, they greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning." My mother said as she walked in. "I was worried when I didn't hear from you. This is the second weekend you're late."

"Because I'm busy. Why is she here? Aren't you supposed to be with your friend?" I asked Marie.

"Uhm, I was invited." She looked from Mother to me.

"Sure. Both of you are in for a surprise." I started the coffee machine when I heard my name.

"Kaiden?" Danny's soft voice echoed through the hallway.

"In here."

She came down the hall with a shocked look on her face but quickly concealed it. She had cleaned up her make-up and fixed her hair before coming out. She was still as beautiful as she was last night.

"Good morning." She smiled to me.

"Hey beautiful." A blush creeped up from her neck to her cheeks. "Mother, Marie...This is Danny." I held her hand, feeling her nervousness.

"It's nice to meet you." Danny spoke first, smiling towards them.

I knew she would have a ton of questions for me but she was polite enough to hold her composure. Silently, I thanked her. Mother was infuriated and Marie was embarrassed.

"Kaiden, I have to go." Danny turned her attention to me. "They should be up by now."

"Yes ma'am...I'll be back." I walked with Danny to her car.

"I'm sorry about that." I apologized once we were out of the house.

"It's your family." She shrugged.

"No, Marie isn't. She's my ex and my mother wants me to be with her."

We had stopped at her car. She wouldn't look at me directly. I knew she wasn't going to like it but telling her the truth was better than hiding it. She was uncomfortable and jealous. I grabbed her hand and I was glad she didn't pull away from me.

"How do you feel about it?"

As shy and timid as Danny was, I knew what she was insinuating. It made me feel good know that she had some kind of feelings toward me.

"I'm not interested in her. She's the past. My future is in front of me."

She blushed again, trying to hide her smile before getting into the car. I kissed her forehead before letting her leave. I watched as she drove out of sight, not wanting to go back into my own house. Mother and Marie were sitting on the couch when I came in. Mother was still pissed.

"Are you going to tell me why you're upset or sit there with that face?" I asked, going back into the kitchen for my coffee.

"We've spoken on this before Kaiden." She responded.

"And what did I tell you the last time?" I poured some creamer into my coffee while she paced the floor.

"I told you that you just needed some time Kaiden..."