Chapter 5

Danny didn't answer my calls or texts for three days. As much as I wanted to be upset with her, I couldn't. She was afraid and her defense was to distance herself. Despite my situation, I was able to finish off the designs and get them to Mr. Chang on Tuesday. I was damn near sweating in his office while he scanned my work.

"Mmmm." He would grunt here and there.

Ellis was standing beside me. I showed him before I turned it in and he was positive the designs would make the cut.

"We're in business." Mr. Chang reached out his hand. My heart fell through my ass and I firmly shook his hand.

"We'll have an event this weekend to share your success. There are a few people I would like you to meet." He shooed me away. I nodded and we walked out of the door.

"You did it man!" Ellis exclaimed, patting me on the back.

I was still in shocked. My mind hadn't processed what happened. The building was mine. After working in this business for two years, I was going to be a CEO. I wanted to tell Danny but she wasn't answering me. She was part of the reason I made it. Her efforts should be celebrated as well.

"Are you going to bring your mystery woman?" Ellis asked.

"I don't know man. She's not answering." I looked at my phone. 2:53. I wondered what she would be doing right now.

"Just send her the news in a text. She can't ignore that."

I grabbed my phone and typed out a quick message. A few minutes passed by and my phone chimed. I was going to have to start giving Ellis more credit.

Congratulations! I told you that he trusted you!

Partly because of u. U should be celebrated. My boss is having an event. Join me?

I sat back in my chair. I knew she was going to fight with herself but part of me knew she wouldn't resist.

Sure. She texted back.

I blew a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. Now, I just had to wait until this weekend.

~~~

"Hello?" I answered my phone on the second ring.

My husband usually didn't call unless it was to speak to the kids. We hadn't had much to say to each other. He wanted us to maintain our friendship but I wasn't interested. How did you expect me to step down as your wife and be friends? It wasn't going to happen.

"I wanted to get the kids." I heard him say. "This weekend."

"What? Why wouldn't you tell me earlier?" I groaned, feeling myself get angry.

"Do you have something planned?"

I thought about Kaiden's event. Even though my mom wouldn't mind watching them, it would give her a break.

"Not really. When would you be coming?"

"Thursday."

I didn't have a clue what I was going to do with so much time to myself. I hated when my kids weren't around. I didn't do anything but worry the whole time they were gone.

"Fine. It's fine." I told myself that it didn't matter what happened between me and him. My kids weren't apart of that. They had a right and a choice to spend time with him. Peter and Alex were always excited to go. Peter would always tell me everything they did in detail. I was going to miss them. When Thursday came, they were packed and ready to go. It felt awkward being around my husband knowing that we weren't together. I tried not to look at him when he was around. I made sure the kids had everything they would need before ending them on their way. I could still feel the tension between us and tried my best to ignore it.