Chapter 14

February 2005

Saturday went quickly. After Alex and I had made up, we went out with Jack and Heather. The day flew by and I snuck into his room again that night. This time there wasn’t any awkwardness, it was just like normal except this time we both slept happy. I hadn’t slept so well or peacefully since I’d moved from the Millers. I woke up Sunday morning still enfolded in his arms. His breath was warm, gently blowing on my forehead. He was still sleeping peacefully. He looked so cute so I decided to leave him and rest my head against his bare chest, his steady breathing and heart beat relaxing me. There was one thought drilling into my brain, I’d have to go visit the Millers today. I shut my eyes cuddling closer into Alex, waking him up.
“Hey, you’re awake early,” he croaked out a whisper. His morning voice was really adorable and kind of sexy too. He pulled me in closer now, kissing my hair.
“No, you just woke up really late!”
“Hey, I didn’t get much sleep the night before. Or last night for that matter,” he grinned. I hit him and wiggled out of his grasp. “Isabel! Iz, I’m sorry, I was joking!”
“I know, shithead, I thought we could make most of our last day!” I searched the room for some clothes.
“I’m not letting you leave,” he pouted, crossing his arms.
“Well, have fun with that, because I’m going to Jack’s,” I pulled up some skinnies that were lying on the floor. I walked over to the bed, reaching out my hand to offer to help him get up. He took it and I pulled him up. He stood up and wrapped his arms around me. He wasn’t fully grown yet, but next to my five foot four, he looked huge. I looked up at him emotionless.
“Get dressed.” I said. He pouted and tried to kiss me but I ducked.
“Fine, I’ll go to Jack’s alone,” I started to walk out of the room and down the stairs.
“Wait for me asshole, I’m coming!” he ran, pulling on a black t-shirt as he ran.
“Good boy!” I laughed. He flipped me off before twining his fingers between mine as we went off to Jack’s.

I sat smiling; Rian and Alex were play fighting rolling around in the grass, Heather and Jack looked so cute and intimate together sitting on his lap. I took the time to watch Zack skateboarding skills, he was amazing. Even though I was watching him and could clearly see what an awesome skateboarder he was, my mind was elsewhere.  Even though no one had forced me to or no one had brought it up, I knew I had to see the Millers, even just for myself, even though it would hurt. The other thing that was bothering me was that I had to go “home” tomorrow. I didn’t like to call it home, Baltimore was my home. I liked just sitting in the park like this. Surrounded by all my friends, even if we didn’t all interact, we were all here together. I thought of Jenna and Rex, my new friends. They’d been so good and nice and kind to me but honestly, they were probably dreading me coming back. I turned my head to see Zack now sitting next to me. Sweat glistened on his muscular body. He smiled at me and I smiled back.
“We miss you here dude, like our personal cheerleader is gone for gigs!” he smirked.
“Trust me, if I could I’d be right back here with my pom poms if I could,” I sighed resting my chin on hands.
“Honestly, I think you’ll be back here soon. You’ll make it happen.”
“Why?” I asked, confused.
“You’re determined, strong. You know how to get what you want and you won’t stop until you do. Not in a bad way, you do it with grace.” He laughed, his dark hair fell over his eyes as he tried to avoid eye contact. He was painfully shy at times but over the past few years we’d become pretty friendly.
“Why thank you, I guess!” I shook my head laughing. Alex and Rian had finished their fight now but Jack and Heather seemed oblivious to the world even though they were feet away from us.
“I won,” Alex said smugly, crawling over to sit next to me, lying his head on my shoulder.
“Dickead.” Rian muttered.
“Alex, I think I better go. I have something to do.” I said.
“Yeah okay, I’ll come.”
I said goodbye to everyone one last time, hugging, trying to keep back my tears. I knew I’d see Jack before I went so I didn’t disturb him and Heather, who needed a room at this point.

I was shaking, my whole body was shaking. I could tell because I could see Alex’s hand shaking because of mine. He wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tightly.
“You’ll be fine, I know it. I’ll be right here anyway, outside.”
“Can you come in with me please?” I asked looking up at him. He pushed my hair out of my face, his big brown eyes looked into mine. He could see I was genuinely uncomfortable with this. Finally, he nodded and took my hand. I looked at him and rang the doorbell. There was shouting on the inside, Dan I guessed, complaining about having to answer the door. After five minutes, Dan appeared in the doorway looking pissed off.
“Hell- Isabel?!” he shouted, wrapping me in a hug, tearing me away from Alex. I laughed. Just looking inside the door made me feel at home again. Feelings rushed back as my other family members did all joining in on a big family hug. Alex leaned against wall, smiling over at us. Tears rolled down my cheeks, uncontrollably. It felt so good to have them all back but it was tearing me apart knowing that within a few hours I’d be hours away, the pain that I felt leaving them again returning in my chest. I noticed Marie had a bandana on her head, her hair was gone. She’d told them. Reality hit me and so did a flood more tears.
“I’ll come back for you when you’re ready, give me a call.” Alex smiled, leaning in to kiss my cheek. I nodded, letting him go away. No matter how much I loved him, I needed to savour this time with my family. I stepped inside and let all the happy memories return.