October 1-Ring

Maria polished the rings in the display case, waiting for a customer to visit the pawn shop. She had a feeling. She smiled to herself as she picked up a diamond ring next and began polishing. No, it wouldn't do to leave this one unpolished. The diamond wasn't terribly big, but the cut was stunning, casting sparkles about the room like stars when lit in darkness. The band was simple platinum, its only adornment the way it twisted around its single gem like tree branches. Or grasping claws, Maria thought wryly.

The bell over the door jingled as a bearded man in a hoodie and jeans entered the shop. The poor dear looked like a fish out of water as he wandered the floor. Maria waited patiently, picking up another ring to polish. For the fastest man alive, he can sure take his time.

He made his way to the far end of the display case, looking between the necklaces, watches, and pocket knives there. His eyes searched until he spotted the ring display where Maria stood. He looked awkward for a moment before gathering his scattered nerves and clearing his throat.

Pretending to just now notice him, Maria smiled and set aside her polishing cloth. "Yes, sir? How may I help you today?"

"I'm, uh, looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend."

Mariah's smile warmed, and she pulled one of the ring trays out of the case to set on the glass countertop. The rings were arranged by price with the top row being the most expensive. "What size do you need?"

The man glanced down, sheepish. "I'm not sure on the number, but one of her rings catches here," He said, rubbing the second knuckle on his right pinky.

Maria nodded, already knowing which ring would leave the shop today. For pretense's sake, she offered him a few of the more expensive rings first.

After a few minutes, the man appeared on the verge of despair for all the options, and all of them more than he could afford. Finally, he pointed to the platinum ring on the fifth row. "What about that one?"

"Hm? Oh, this one. It's been sitting here for years," Maria said as she pulled it from the case, revealing the yellow tag that indicated a price reduction for just that reason.

The man shot her a look that plainly said she was crazy for not starting with that one. Maria grinned at him innocently. "I'll take it."

"As you wish, sir." She rang him up and set the ring in a velvet box. "May happiness find you," She said, handing him the box and his receipt. "While we have a 'no returns' policy here, I can recommend the pawn shop on Main Street. Bob has a fondness for rings."

The man looked affronted for a moment. Then he pocketed the ring box and made his way to the front door. He threw a sarcastic "Thanks" over his shoulder before the door swung closed.

Maria shook her head, knowing that ring would never leave its box while in his possession. She hoped he would be alright one day. She couldn't see his path past the point he parted with it. Picking up a ruby ring and her polishing cloth, she focused on this object's history and future instead, seeing a parade of prior and future owner's faces.