p̶r̶o̶l̶o̶g̶u̶e̶

"Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me – 
The Carriage held but just Ourselves – 
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste.
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility – "

... Because I Could Not Stop For Death - Emily Dickinson

  Because I Could Not Stop For Death - Emily Dickinson

p̶r̶o̶l̶o̶g̶u̶e̶

2013

The Massachusetts wind blew into the young girl's face as she looked up to the dark sky above her. She could still hear the arguing coming from within her household, her mother threatening to pack her bags yet again. At only age 7, she never quite understood what that meant, yet she could feel the negative connotation. Her subconscious could only bear her to be the blame, as she was conceived out of wedlock, which resulted in a forced marriage. She couldn't stand to stay in her room when the arguing took place, so she would often find herself sneaking outside to lay on the patio and watch the stars high in the sky.

Except for tonight, there were no stars.

There were only tears and distant yelling. And it didn't take long until her mother discovered she was not tucked in bed like she should've been.

"Lili! For fucks sake! What are you doing? It would help if you were in bed," Her mother shouted from the back door, slowly making her way out. The young girl quickly runs and hugs her mother, tears streaming down her green eyes. "I'm sorry, Mommy-" she cried into her mother's torso. "Just, just go to bed, Lili."

Yet something changed that night. The 7-year-old girl was no longer there and in her place, a much older version of herself. Her mother screamed as she went to wake her daughter. The young dirty blonde is now taken by an older dark brunette, nearly black.

"Mama?" She questioned, and she slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes.  Her mother fainted.

It wasn't much longer until her mother was on the phone. The poor 7-year-old trapped inside a 20-something-years-old's body had no idea what was going on, only that she was being sent away. Her mother muttered something about witchcraft as she pulled her daughter out of school and into a Louisiana boarding school.

"Louisiana? Is that another country? We live in America."
"No. No, Lil-Lili. It's a state."
"But we live in Massachusetts."
"I know that."
"Then why am I going to Louisiana?"
"Because I can't keep you here. It's too dangerous."
"It's not dangerous here- I don't wanna go-"
"Could you just shut up!"

And like that, the now older girl became quiet. "You need clothes that fit you, and you can't be wearing mine. I'm going out. Don't touch anything- don't even move," Her mother said frantically as she looked for her keys. "I'm staying home alone?" Lili asked. "You aren't 7 anymore."

Only hours later, suitcases were being thrown at her daughter as her mother prompted her to pack her new clothes. The poor girl had a flight to catch.

"How do I pack?"
"You fold the clothes and put them in the suitcase."
"But I don't know how to fold-"
"You're gonna learn."

And like that, she watched and learned and then was sent into a taxi heading to BOS. She was scared and nervous. Her 7-year-old mind was being pushed away from her home. But, she had no idea that someone else across the country was going through nearly the same thing.

The airport was loud, and Lili was intimidated. She knew she needed to act older; it reminded her of the time she'd play the mom while playing house at recess. She could do this, she thought to herself as she handed the lady her ticket. Her mother prompted her to tell the workers she was 17, so she wouldn't be ID'd. She didn't quite understand why, but she did as told.

The flight was long for her. She could barely keep herself still and often found herself playing and fidgeting with clothing. And she most definitely was the only 22-year-old watching Disney Channel. But eventually, she'd fall asleep, and when she's awake, her flight would have just landed.

When she made her way out of the airport, she already had an Uber waiting for her. A tall, dark man holding a sign that read "Lili Reid" was standing outside. She followed him with her luggage, and hesitantly went inside the black car.

She was soon met with a large white house. She could feel her stomach turn as she stood out of the car, staring at the building in front of her. She grabbed her bags, and hesitantly made her way to the door.

The door swung open upon her arrival, despite no one being on the other side. Except, the girl had a lack of sense of danger and began exploring.

 It wasn't long until she heard a "Lili, welcome to Miss

It wasn't long until she heard a "Lili, welcome to Miss. Robichaux's. We've been expecting you," coming from behind.

~~~
AN/

I haven't written in years or 3rd person before but let me tell you, I am soooooo excited to start this!! This chapter/prologue was just a back story on the main character, but it is important!! Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy this.

Much love,

Ashley