Sample

~Arabella~

Her flats softly pitter patter down the staircase as she clutches her bag strap. Her other hand fly's over the railing, the rusting paint leaves residue on her palms. Arabella stumbles on the last step and she nearly falls into the door, but her thin hands push the door open with the tips of her fingers. Her eyes are having trouble focusing as she ascends the set of stairs that lead to the grassy area.

The grassy area is behind the school building. There are a few trees here and there and a bench underneath a large willow tree. The bench is old and covered in Sharpie marker and scars from pocket knives, they were put their from other kids from years past. A short chain-link fence surrounds the entire school property. It's intended to keep the unruly teenagers inside the school's perimeter, but that doesn't stop students from hopping the fence and taking a stroll to the nearest convenience store. 

This is where the stoners and the freaks go to hang out when they skip school or when there's a party and they need somewhere to go once they've been kicked out. They stand along the brick wall and pass each other joints, each taking a hit. Occasionally a jock or cheerleader could be found here buying some form of illegal substance. But for now, this is where Arabella would go to escape.

Arabella breathes in the cool air of freshly mowed grass, dusty leaves, and the smog of the city. The breeze brought her mussed hair to flutter around her face, tickling the exposed area of her neck. Arabella wraps her knitted scarf, which has a few moth eaten places, tighter around herself. Fall was on it's way.

She pushes her light colored hair around her ear and out of the corner of her eye she sees him.

He's leaning his back up against the discolored brick with his foot propped up for support, just like she last saw him the other day.

Arabella lets her hair fall back into her face and she looks down. She stares at her ill fitting ankle boots, the nicest pair of shoes she owns. She peeks back over her left shoulder and he peeks back at her. She meets his unwavering gaze, he looks as if he's beckoning to her almost. His eyes watch her so intensly and he nods his head at her. Arabella feels her feet start to move over to him, something inside her is pushing her forward, or maybe it's him. Maybe there's something in him that's pulling her toward him.

~Ashton~

She comes to me. A bit hesitant, but she hides it pretty well. I beckon her again, nodding my head. She quickens her pace doging a few broken beer bottles, and then she's right next to me. 

Should he say something? Of course he should say something! He wouldn't call her over here if he didn't have something to say. Ashton doesn't always think things through, and this is one of those times.

He's gotta keep his cool. Ashton pulls out a pack of cigarettes. He bought them at the beginning of the week and he only has about seven left. He was tryn' to make them last.

He pulls one cigarette out of the carton with his teeth and puts the packet in his back pocket. Ashton takes a long look at the girl in front of him. She's the same one he's been seeing in the hallway near the art classrooms.

Ashton looks her over again. She looks away then her eyes land on the cig between his lips. He clears his throat and takes the unlit cigarette out of his mouth.

"Want one?" He asks her offering the one in his hand.

"Uhm," She takes a step back, like she might run away at any moment. "Sure." She says as she takes it with long slender fingers.

She holds it between her fingers like she knows what she's doing, like she's been smoking for a long time.

She's slim and a little on the short side. She just barley reaches his neck, and that's with him slouching. Her hair is loose and flows around her shoulders and she pulls it back around her ear, showing off a gold studded ear. Her eyes are round and light blue. She's plain, simple...yet somehow pretty.