At the Silver River Fair: Part 1

The Silver River Fair, Three Years Earlier:

Shortly after Tarissa and Tunis had arrived in Silverdale, Tunis took her to the Silver River Fair. Held every year at the end of summer, farmers and merchants from up the Silver River, as far as Pine Barrow, gathered at the fairgrounds outside the city to show off their produce, livestock, and other wares. Tarissa and Tunis strolled past exhibits as they finished the slices of red-heart melon Tunis had bought them.

At one point in their rambling, Tarissa overheard a passerby say there were dragons down by the river. She turned to her brother. "Tunis, they've got dragons here," she told him. "I want to go see a dragon."

"Oh, honey." A woman next to her touched her arm for attention. "I heared what you said, and we just come from there. They's scary things, they are." She shook her head. "I won't goes near 'em again, that's sure."

Two years prior to the fair, Tarissa had met the famous dragon Kahshect, when she had played before the king and queen in Tazzelton. She turned back to Tunis and grinned broadly. "Sounds terrifying." She grabbed his arm and tugged him onward. "Let's go."

They resumed their trek, angling now toward the end of the field where it met the Silver River. Tarissa still had a smile on her face as she bounced along. The thought of seeing dragons close up excited her.

Ahead, two dragons lounged at the edge of the field. A cluster of people milled about some distance away, talking to each other and staring at the dragons. The dragons were the center of attention, but it was attention from a distance. Unlike the horses and pigs on display in the pens at the other end of the fairgrounds, there was no fence around these dragons. Although the creatures sat calmly, not appearing interested in what was going on around them, no one ventured near.

Except Tarissa.

She would not miss a chance to see dragons up close. With no hesitation, she walked past the rim of cautious people directly up to the dragons. Their bodies were easily double the size of a draft horse, and even on the ground, the tops of their backs were as high as Tarissa's shoulders. With their heads atop long necks, they loomed over her at least twice her height as the dragons turned to look at her.

When Tarissa had met the king and queen's dragon bondmate, she had learned that bonded dragons could understand human speech perfectly well. She looked up at the dragons. "Hello and welcome to Silverdale," she greeted them happily.

Of course the dragons could not reply, but they recognized her greeting by nodding to her politely.

"Ah, experienced with dragons, are you?"

Tarissa turned at the comment. An older woman had followed her closer to the dragons. "I'm Ada Warrat," the woman added.

"Tarissa Lathetta," she replied and smiled. "I don't know much about dragons, but I met Kahshect once."

The woman nodded. "One of the more rambunctious beasts, that's for sure." She harrumphed disapprovingly. Tarissa smiled, having seen the ornery dragon's behavior for herself. Warrat pointed at the nearest of the two dragons. "This is Deybanyt, my bondmate."

"Deybanyt, I am pleased to meet you," Tarissa said. The dragon nodded again, more deeply this time.

"And the other dragon is Telekoth, bonded to Effram Vordlay."

Tarissa repeated her greeting to the other dragon. "I think this is great fun to be able to see dragons close up like this. Do you do this every year?"

Warrat looked surprised and shook her head. "No, we do not. In fact this is the first time in many, many years that we've been invited to Silverdale. Duke Rairatte sent us a special invitation after he'd managed to get his advisory council to approve." She looked at Tarissa thoughtfully. "Is this your first time at the fair?"

Nodding, Tarissa added, "My brother and I moved up from Tazzelton this year."

"Ah, and do you like Silverdale?"

"Sure. I like it fine," Tarissa answered automatically.

Warrat put her arm across Tarissa's shoulders and leaned close. Quietly she said, "You should know, dear, that our bond with a dragon means we can never lie. It also means we can hear any untruths others speak." When Tarissa looked at her, Warrat nodded. "I'm sorry you don't like it in Silverdale. Maybe you'll like it better after you've been here a while."

Tarissa shook her head sadly and looked down. "My mother died. That's why we moved up here." She paused to clear her throat and whispered. "I miss her." Embarrassed to have revealed so much of her personal feelings to a stranger, she looked away. "I'm sorry," she murmured.

"Don't be sorry, child," Warrat said soothingly, but then she sighed. Tarissa heard sorrow in the woman's voice. "Unfortunately too much of life can be painful." She gave Tarissa a pat on her shoulder. "You still grieve, but I see a measure of good spirits inside you." She smiled at Tarissa. "You looked as if you were having a good time today. You were quite bubbly a moment ago when you were talking to the dragons."

Yes, she had been happy, and Warrat was easy to talk to. She saw Tunis watching from nearby and waved him over. After she had introduced her brother to Warrat—and the dragons— she told the dragon-bound woman more about their lives.