Chapter 3: A Sound

It has begun to rain over Camp Redwood when Lavinia went to leave the cabin to visit the infirmary. She wondered about how the injured stranger was feeling, but before she left, she grabbed her baseball cap and put it on backwards. She also took a switchblade knife from underneath one of the other beds, as well as a battery-operated flashlight. The rain was quite heavy, her sneakers sloshing against the muddy, moist terrain as she walked to the nurse's cabin. She opened the door but left it open to facilitate escape in case anything was to go wrong. She shined the flashlight toward the wall to get a better look at the bed the man was placed in, but noticed he was not there. She walked closer, but slowly, her gray eyes looking around in confusion before feeling a presence behind her.

"Eek!" she let out, nearly dropping the flashlight to see it was the injured man, standing on his own two feet, staring at her. She sighed with relief. "Why aren't you in bed?"

"You shouldn't be here," he said weakly.

"I came in to check on you. You shouldn't creep on people like that," Lavinia told him. "Here..." She moved out of the way and gestured toward the bed. "Go back to bed."

She managed to help him along, although he moved slowly. The man was able to sit, and then lay back where he was. Lavinia looked down at him, and he took a deep sigh. His voice still sounded quite weak.

"It's a miracle they let them reopen this dump," he said under his breath.

"Is there anyone we can call? Do you have any friends or family around?" Lavinia offered.

"Phone lines are down," he said cryptically.

"Why?"

"Cut."

Her eyebrows raised: "cut? By who?"

"Something terrible's going to happen," the man said. "Leave while you can."

"Please, try to rest, okay? I will see you in the morning, hopefully. Rita will be tending to you, too," Lavinia said. "I'm going to the other cabin if you need me, or any of us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She walked into the other cabin, where Montana, Xavier, Chet, Brooke, and Ray were watching the start of the 1984 Summer Olympics on the TV set. She happened to startle most of them there, but her eyes fixed to the TV set before saying anything. She could see people running with lit torches, but Chet distracted her.

"Aren't you supposed to be in bed, kiddo?" he asked.

"No, smartass," she said bluntly, "I went to check on that hiker. He doesn't look so good. He is so out of it."

"Karmically we're cool. We didn't let him die on the road," Montana said.

"He kept saying something bad is going to happen," the girl said. "I'm pretty convinced."

"I'm just as nervous," Brooke agreed, rubbing her hands against the smooth fabric of her pants.

Lavinia heard footsteps behind her, but it was someone totally different. It wasn't Margaret; it was a man who was quite tall with an oh-so-outdated 1970s mustache and brown parted haircut with a light rug of chest hair on his body. His outfit consisted of a navy-blue tank top and basketball shorts, reminding Lavinia of her gym teacher for most of junior high. He also wore a gold chain around his neck and was carrying a four-pack of beer. The one thing that made Lavinia cringe more than the memory of her gym teacher's shorts going up his ass when rope-climbing in shorts, was the outline in the front of the shorts. Lavinia could feel her stomach turning at the sight of a massive member just dying to peak out of the bottom right leg. My eyes, she thought with distress, starting to bite her nails as she diverted her eyes away from the man.