9. !Fly Little Bird!

The fresh autumn air drifted through the windows as Malachi cleaned out the vent in the bathroom, which had collected too much dust. His arm was aching by holding it in the air for so long. Particles of dust fell from the air and into his mouth, he struggled to spit them out, even gagging. The dog started barking outside, which was unusual. Malachi glanced over his shoulder and listened closely. The gravel crunched outside as tires made their way over it. He walked over to the kitchen window and saw a little gray car pulling up in the driveway. The windows were tinted heavily. A tiny layer of fear had already formed at the pits of his stomach. The car stopped, and the door popped open. Out of that car a man in a cap arouse, along with blue jeans, tennis shoes, and a green jacket. Malachi's dog barked nonstop, getting right up to the mans feet. The man simply put his hand down low to the dog and allowed it to sniff his hand, he continued to pet it. The man smiled, and even from the window, Malachi could see a gold tooth glaring out of his mouth. He was the only one home, both parents at work. The man looked harmless. Did he open the door? The man was now on the porch walking towards the door. They lived a little far off from town, not far off enough for anything bad to happen before police could arrive. If he tries anything, I'll just slam the door in his face and call the cops. Knocks echoed throughout the house, hard knocks with slight pauses between each one. Malachi made his way to the door and without thinking, opened it. The man looked up from his phone and smiled.

"Hello young man." He stuck out his hand to Malachi.

"Hello." Malachi said as he shook it.

"Do either of your parents happen to be home sunny?" The man asked, looking into the house.

Malachi said the same as always, "Yea my mom is upstairs cleaning."

"Okay, well I'm Tim. Iv'e been going around today handing out these slips to people to let you know about the business that I now run from my house."

He handed Malachi the slip of paper, "Lennon's Taxidermist Office. 484-654-1375." Malachi looked back up to the man, realizing his hat said the same thing.

"I didn't know taxidermist went door to door for self promotion," Malachi laughed. The man didn't like the joke very much, he kept a straight face.

Uncomfortable, Malachi handed the slip back to him, "Sorry, mister, my dog doesn't need stuffed anytime soon."

The man paused, "Oh. I see. Well if you don't mind I would like to talk to your mother." Malachi gulped, "Sorry, shes busy right now."

The mans face was as pale and blank as ever, he knew. The two sat staring at each other for a moment. His face began to grow red, "Where is her car, sunny?" Malachi's throat tightened. Was now the time to slam the door? Yes it was. He went to slam the door, slam it right in the nosy bastard's face. The man seized his arm on the door handle. Before he could get the first word out, the man pulled him out from the door frame and onto the porch. Malachi began to scream, screaming for help hoping that anyone would hear. His 16 year old muscles fought at the man, who seemed around 40. The dog started barking again, louder than ever. Malachi screamed in agony as the man gripped a hand full of hair and started pulling him off the porch. "GET OFF ME!" Malachi screamed with all his might, his voice breaking. The dog bit at the man, he kicked it back. The gravel driveway cut Malachi's back as the man pulled him towards his car. The man, "Tim," finally jerked Malachi up by his shirt. The two held eye-to-eye contact as Malachi's eyes stung with tears. With one hand Tim popped open the trunk of the car. "Perfect," he muttered.

Now in the darkness of the trunk, Malachi sobbed cradling himself. Too many thoughts were running through his mind for him to handle. The main thought being WHAT JUST HAPPENED? The air in the trunk was damp and thin, it became harder to breathe. Combined with fear and the lack of oxygen, Malachi fainted.