Chapter 2

Keith rarely had cases that were solved this quickly. Despite what he initially believed, he had time this Saturday. Which is why he called Pidge to inform her of the good news.

This was how he found himself on top of one of the most comfortable beds in the whole world.
Pidge's room was messy, sure, but she had a collection of video games and movies that left even the town's local video store pale in comparison.

Tonight, they had decided to watch an old show about giant robots. They were almost half way through, since they had started the show a few month ago. They got from seven to ten episodes each session. Keith loved those nights. As exhausting as they may be. One of the reasons was that Pidge seemed to know the cheapest brands of the best snacks and always had a high amount of soda or unhealthy caffeinated energy drinks in stock. So, in short, they only ever moved for the bathroom.

In return for the snacks, he helped her whenever she needed help with research about robotic or engineering related stuff. Additionally, with his connections to ghosts, alias gossip and his experience with tempering with technical stuff (mostly his bike), he knew were to get the best tools and knew how to entertain them both well.

He lent her his tools and showed her how to use some of them. Pidge was smart, she knew a lot about technical things. But she was clumsy. And she needed a lab rat, here and there. And Hunk, her science buddy, wasn't always available.

"Hey, Keith?"

"Yeah?" 

"Is Allura here right now?", Pidge asked. She was in thought, Keith could tell, because she wasn't focused on the flying robots like she usually was.

"No, not that I know of, why?"

"I was wondering-", she stopped and sighed, as she put the show on silence, with the press of a button on the remote.

"You were wondering?", Keith asked, a bit too tired for ghost related questions.

"Why do you think she's still here?", she asked. Keith fidgeted in his position and wrapped the blanked closer around him. Keith didn't answer at first, as he wasn't sure what she meant by that. Until she elaborated: "I mean, she helps people move to the after life, right? But she herself is a ghost. She also died, but is still here. Why?"

Keith hesitated. He had asked himself the very same question multiple times. Of course he asked Allura before. But her answers were a bit vague. And he didn't dare question her further. She was a frightening person.

"She told me, she is searching for someone to take over her job. In her previous life, she was a medium, just like me. And since I am apparently not doing my job, she has to show me how it's done."

"Do you know why is she so obsessed with releasing these ghosts? Does she even know what comes after they, as you say, just disappear into light?"

Keith put down the bag of chips. He turned to her, now equally deep in thought. "I – I don't know honestly. She just disappears with them all the time. And some time after, when the next ghost appears, she pops up again."

Pidge scanned him from where she sat. "That sounds – random."

"It does, doesn't it? She doesn't even care how I convince the souls to come with her. I barely know why she needs my help anyway. Can't she just force them to come with her? I mean, I once threatened a ghost to destroy his piano if he didn't leave with her. She didn't even glare at me. It really doesn't make sense.", Keith explained.

"Well, it's probably not her moral then. Can you draw her for me one more time? I'd like to see what she looks like. Perhaps I can find some information on her online."