P A R T O N E

UPDATED: 9/20/2024

The dark streets consumed me as I slowly walked down the dimly lit road. The cold night rubbed at my skin, pulling up little goosebumps all down my arms, almost infectiously. I felt the bumps linger on my neck. My feet pick up the pace as I feel watched. I remind myself, 234 steps from the library to Posse Street, 89 to the sidewalk on West and Ninth, and then 129 to my street. My speed increases even more, and my fast walk has turned into an inconspicuous jog.

Sweat drips down my forehead as I approach my first safe space, Posse Street, with only 218 steps to go. My dark hair sticks to my face, and my breathing gets heavier. My head turns to the right to see the same gray 2022 Honda Accord I've seen 4 times in the past 2 weeks. Twice in front of my house, once at the library, and once in front of Alexi's apartment.

License plate FJM 182 VXP

"Come on Calliope remember FJM 182 VXP" I berate myself, I know what is happening. I keep repeating the combination, the color and make of the car, how many steps away I am from the library. I look around for light poles and for cameras in front of businesses. I know what's happening.

I let the car pass me fully and begin running in the opposite direction, I run to the closest lit building, not forgetting to count my steps, my feet barely touch the ground before my other is lifting. FJM 182 VXP, fjm 182 vxp, fjm 182.. I hear a car enter the liquor store parking lot. Turning my head I see the same vehicle as before. This time I don't run, there isn't anywhere for me to go, I let myself get trapped.

And now I have to fight.

A man steps out of the passenger seat, unmasked and unarmed, my hand slips down to grab the knife stuck between my underwear and jeans, pulling off the cover I throw it aside, making direct eye contact with the liquor store camera.

"You don't have to fight me little one. I'm only here to help you" The tall man says, I begin memorizing his characteristics, but it's hard to see him in this dim lighting. I trace my eyes over his clean-shaven chin and dip in his cheeks.

"STAY BACK" I project my voice in hopes someone will hear me.

"Please just come with me I really don't want to hurt you Calliope" My heart sinks. They will never stop, they aren't just tracking me, they are stalking me.

fjm 182 vx

My heart stops for a moment as I feel a hand touch my back and a warm moist cloth cover my mouth. I don't freak out, I remain calm I know as soon as I breathe through my nose or my mouth I will pass out. I take my knife and slam it into the thigh of the man restraining me. I hear a loud grumble as he presses harder against my mouth. I try to see anything about this man to let me know who he is. He has a silver ring on his ring finger, a small band, engraved with a date

01/16

My eyes close and my breathing slows.

Darkness consumes my mind and body.