Make Me Smile

Introduction

Mel's POV

My alarm clock woke me up at 5am for my daily routine. I threw on jeans and an old t-shirt, grabbed my camera, and walked out the door for my morning walk. The air was slightly moist from the rain and the grass glistened in the light of the street lamps. The sun has not yet risen for the day to begin but lights are already on in the city. I live in a suburb adjacent to a city so the chaos of city life was never too far away.

As I made my way down the street, I stopped every once and a while to capture the moment. Going down the familiar avenues, taking short cuts down the allies, it was all usual for me.

The sun was high in the sky at that point, due to the fact that it was summer, and I turned right around taking the same path I used to get to my destination. A couple blocks away from my apartment building, I saw the flashing lights of an ambulance. Worried, I sprinted down to the building and made my way up the stairs to my apartment on the second floor.

Someone's hurt.

I bursts into my apartment and there laying on the floor was my father. A man grabbed my arms, he tried to calm me down.

Dead. He's dead.

Screaming is all I really remember after that. It was all a blur, visiting the hospital, receiving the news, learning I'm now officially an orphan, it was all a blur.

*2 years later*

"MEL! Hello? Were you even listening? God, as I was saying.." My friend Frankie Andrews goes on, but my mind is still wandering.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice someone looking at me, I quickly meet his gaze and found myself caught in his eyes. They were a weird brownish color, he was too far away for me to really get a good look at him, but they were deep.

He quickly turns his head, was he embarrassed? I know I'm not that intimidating, anyway---

"HEY! Gosh, this is getting annoying, pay attention to what I'm saying! Or at least do that nodding-and-pretend-like-you're-listening thing we used to do in English class..."

"Sorry, I got distracted..."

"Obviously, you were too busy looking at the attractive fellow over there." She jumped out of her chair and grabbed my arm, she turned my head to look her straight into her eyes. "Let's get our flirting pants on.."

"Ugh, no, let's get our regular, somewhat comfortable, casual--" She cut me off by wiggling her eyebrows and grabbing my face in her hands.

Um. Awkward?

"C'mon, let's have fun! Please! You have no choice!" We were now standing at our table in the food court, the guy couldn't see us, so it wasn't entirely mortifying.

I need a normal friend.

I tried to protest, but it came out kinda like "Mrhhmmmfphhhgglll" because she was smudging my face with her large hands.

This was going to be interesting...

A/N***

Hey! Thanks for reading this, it's my first story on here so constructive criticism is welcome but no hate<3

Thanks again for reading it really is appreciated :)