Chapter 5

"Uuuuh- my kid," Alex said.

"With who?" Agent Danvers demanded.

"Uh... Slade," Alex muttered.

"What!!?" They both yelled.

"I'm very confused, I'm a lesbian," Agent Danvers said.

"I'm demisexual, actually," Alex said.

"What?" Agent Danvers said.

"I have to make emotional connections before romantic," Alex said. "It's not that weird that I made a connection with Slade."

"Honestly, I still don't get it," Slade said, making Alex roll her eyes fondly.

"Why don't we get off this topic that they had agreed not to talk about. I mean, me and Malcolm got in trouble for talking about it," Laurel said., before sighing and turning on the video.

"OK," Ruby's principal, Coburn, told Sam as she sat. "Well, then . . . there was some kind of argument between the girls that started before morning bell. It got very heated outside their lockers, and Ruby hit Stephanie."

"Wait, what? I hit someone?" Ruby said in confusion.

"Big time. I'm told it was funny," Will said.

"OK," Sam bit her lip, trying to process this. "When you say 'hit,' I mean . . . how did she hit her? Did she push her?"

"Oh, no," Coburn shook her head. "She punched her in the face."

"Seriously?" Ruby said.

"Oh, God," Sam covered her mouth in horror. "Is Stephanie all right?" "She's OK," Coburn nodded. "It didn't go further than the one punch."

"I just," Sam shook her head. "This is not like Ruby!"

"Ruby is very well-behaved," Coburn frowned. "I was shocked when they told me she was involved in this. Is she acting OK at home? Sleeping normally?"

"Yes," Sam nodded. "Yes, nothing out of the ordinary."

"I know you're a single parent," Coburn told her, and Sam followed her hand motions, thinking. "Has there been some sort of shake-up with Ruby's father? You know, sometimes children can sense – "

"There is no father," Sam interrupted. "It's just us."

"I'm sorry," Coburn winced. "I don't mean to pry. We just want to find out what's going on with Ruby and make sure that this is an isolated incident for her."

"Well, I agree," Sam nodded.

Samantha Arias

It didn't take long to finish the meeting after that. Sam walked out of the principal's office and sighed in frustration when she saw Ruby sitting sheepishly outside. "Today of all days," she grumbled, gesturing for her to follow her. "Come on."

Ruby sighed, then took her backpack and followed.

James Olsen

Kara quickly ran out of the elevator, checking her watch. "Hey, how you doing?" James asked, walking up to her, a concerned look on his face.

"I'm OK," she answered. "I'm just running late."

"For what?" James frowned, confused.

"Uh, Lena called a meeting for the news room."

James blinked. "She did?"

"Yeah," Kara blinked back. "She didn't tell you?"