Chapter 47

Kara Danvers

Kara tapped her glasses against her palm, waiting for Oliver to finish his call, then walked over to where Slade was leaning against the car, staring at something on his phone. She looked over his shoulder, her face softening when she saw Slade with a teenage boy who looked just like him. "Is that Joe?" she asked quietly.

"From Milford Sound," Slade confirmed.

Kara put her arm through his, leaning against him. "You'll find him again," she said confidently. "And when you do, all you need to do is ask, and I'll be right there with you."

"And that means the world to me, little one," Slade smiled, kissing the top of her head, making Kara smile more.

Slade swallowed and looked down. Alex squeezed his arm and leaned against him.

"Thank you," Oliver said, and the two of them turned, Malcolm looking up as he closed the trunk of the car. "I spoke with our friend, the warden," Oliver smirked. "The Jackals are in custody, and he is very relieved."

"Good riddance," Malcolm folded his arms. "Hope to never have to deal with him again."

Oliver nodded in agreement, then turned to Slade. "You all right?"

"My son," Slade took a deep breath. "He saw me kill a man before the mirakuru, before Deathstroke. He followed in my path."

"No," Oliver immediately shook his head. "Don't blame yourself, Slade. It doesn't help."

"You know why I do," Slade sighed. "Never give up on family. That's what you told me."

"And it's going to stay that way," Malcolm assured him. "I thought all I had left of mine was Thea. Now we've all got each other. We're not giving up on you."

"Thanks, wizard," Deathstroke said.

"Magician," Dark Archer said, without thinking.

They both froze, and everyone burst out laughing.

"Never thought I'd be able to say this without wanting to punch him, but Malcolm's right," Oliver agreed. "No matter what you decide to do, Slade, we're behind you."

Slade nodded. "I'm gonna keep searching for my son," he said. "Both of them. I can't give up."

"You ever need our help again, you don't hesitate to ask," Oliver told him.

Slade tilted his head. "You assume I'm going to leave again right away."

"You're coming back?" Oliver said in pleasant surprise.

Oliver blinked, not expecting that. "I'm sorry, come again?" Malcolm asked, a grin starting to form on his face.

"It took me months of looking through your intel, kid, to even find the beginning of a trail of Joe's whereabouts," Slade told him. "Now that Joe knows I'm looking, he'll do whatever he can to try and make sure I don't find him again. And I don't know where to even begin with Grant. It could take me months more to find them again." He smirked. "Where better to start looking for family than where the rest of it is?"

"You're kidding," Oliver started to grin as well.

"You're coming back to Star City?" Kara's eyes lit up in delight.

"Nearing two months was far too long," Slade nodded, looking at her, smiling. "Too long to stay away from the family I know I have. In my brothers, and my sister." He turned back to Oliver and Malcolm, both of whom were grinning widely. "Unless that's a problem with any of you?"