5 ゜ghost hunt

Mina nodded nervously at the crazed mob of civilians, leaning "nonchalantly" on a random barrel that was on the side of the narrow cobble street. A waxing moon shone down on the town, along with thousands of stars.

"We swear the ghost went this way!" A man spit as he shouted. "After it tried to steal some of my fruit!" Mina cringed as some of his spittle landed on her hand, but made sure to keep up the fake smile.

The pink teen couldn't help but notice how most of the crowd were normal humans. Attacking whatever was not already accepted. They were fine with her, of course, werewolves were a regular occurrence. But ghosts, on the other hand, were not. They were a mystery to humans, and therefore feared.

And scared, the flight or fight response was trigged. These humans obviously wanted to fight.

"What if I paid you for the fruit and we all go back to bed?" Mina asked, her voice cracking.

"No! I wanna teach that creature a lesson!"

"Ah, of course, well—" Everyone fell silent at the sound of someone sneezing from behind the barrel. The group of about two dozen stared until Ashido shuffled closer to it, chuckling almost too nervously. "Sorry, that was... my, uhm..–stomach! Those weird werewolf diets, y'know?"

It was silent another moment, before the mob leader grumbled once again. "So you don't know where that wretched ghost went?"

"Oh, no! Sorry? Maybe it... ascended?" She suggested with an exaggerated shrug. The man sighed, looking to his followers forlornly.

"The lass is right. Let's turn in the pitchforks for tonight."

They all began grumbling, lowering the hay tossing tools. The women picked up their dramatic dresses and the men their trousers, everyone turning to walk towards their homes.

When the street was empty, a floating dress and black cloak rose from behind the barrel.

"Did you have to sneeze right then?" Mina cried exasperated at the invisible girl. She lowered her voice as soon as she heard the sniffles.

"H-He called me... he called me wretched!" Toru began wailing, throwing her arms around her friend and sobbing into her stomach.

"Oh my God, you big baby! Stop before they come back!"

.・゜゜・  ・゜゜・.
this is the first "mini adventure" before the final boss. most of the rest of the chapters will be like this. gn legends