Part 1- Chapter 4

Opha, the capital of Silvane.... just outside the castle and one week after the invasion....

         Duke Wicke approached the man who was waiting before the drawbridge in such a careful manner that an outsider could already tell that this mystery man was quite important.

          And the man was quite important, for he, Recix, was the head advisor for the King of Silvane. So although Wicke himself was a Duke and got addressed as "your grace" and was invited to all of the fancy parties of the Kingdom, his position still paled in comparison to Recix's.

            Recix, upon seeing the Duke approach him, smiled that kind of smile that one did after commiting some dastardly act and felt no guilt about said act. Needless to say his smile was quite terrifying to anyone who happened to catch a glimpse of it.

            "Ah. Hello Aurelius, fancy seeing you in this part of our fair city." Recix stated while giving the flustered yet exasperated young Duke a once over.

             "Recix, you told me that you wanted to meet up in these parts. I don't understand your surprise." Duke Wicke replied with slight confusion.

             "Aurelius, I was merely making pleasant conversation. It's important to have a light-hearted moment before we delve into the heavy matters that I called you to speak about."

            "Well, pleasant moment is over. So let's get down to business, shall we?" The Duke replied curtly. It was quite clear to him what Recix's ulterior motives were, and so he didn't feel much like pandering to said motives.

            "I heard that your invasion was a success. The King is very pleased with you, as am I. Though I have heard rumors that word of the invasion managed to make its way to Varis. Is this true, Aurelius?"

             Duke Wicke felt like Recix had both praised him and punched him in the solar plexus, it wasn't a very good feeling.

              "I may have accidentally let some of the survivors of the invasion escape. That is my fault, and my fault alone. I am deeply sorry if word has actually made its way to Varis, it was not my intention." The Duke said in a small voice with his head tilted downward.

               Recix placed a hand on the Duke's shoulder. "I am sure that what you are saying is true, Aurelius. But on the off chance that news of the invasion has spread, the King would like to have a meeting with you at some point to discuss our next move against Zendaro."

             "That would be good, I like that." Duke Wicke responded without meeting the eyes of Recix....

                   ••••••••••••••••••••
Thanks to all of you so much for picking this story up and reading it! I do honestly believe that seeing that people are reading what I'm writing is a big motivator for me. Also, two updates in one week? That's crazy talk. Anyway, next chapter will be a sort of break in the storyline where I will discuss the two kingdoms, facts about the characters, among other things. I would also like to take some suggestions in the comments for what I should do next in the storyline regarding the meeting with the King of Silvane.