The Rattlecobra (Pt. 2)

This chapter's dedicated to Rally9933. It's not about what you are, but what you see in yourself.

“Hey, Branch, check this out!" Poppy said, still reading the book. Branch gave up talking Poppy out of reading and decided if he couldn't beat her, he would join her.

One Rattlecobra was an empath, he was gifted with the ability to sense what someone else was feeling. He soothed the angry, calmed the scared, and comforted the depressed. But the rest of his magic was weak, and his father, the King Rattlecobra, feared his son wouldn't be strong enough for him to take his place. So, the young prince decided to make his father proud, by stealing the magic of other Rattlecobras, which ended up killing them. The prince became more powerful than he ever imagined, but with a price. He lost his empathy, his soul grew as black as his scales, and his hunger for power became an addiction. He continued stealing magic, murdering innocent snakes. Then, one night, his parents discovered him, and instead of pride, like he expected, they only felt horror. As the Queen begged her son to stop, his craving took over, and he destroyed her. Enraged, the King tried to destroy the monster who killed his wife, friends, his entire species... but how could he?"

“He must've died, too," Branch figured. Poppy nodded.

“The prince was all that was left of the entire Rattlecobra race. He became the most powerful being in the world, but he still wanted more. So, he searched for another creature that would satisfy his needs. Hundreds of years later, he found one. They didn't have true magic, but a powerful energy that came from the heart. He tried to absorb it from them, but he couldn't because they weren't his kind. The only way he could steal their energy is if he had a connection with them. So, he kidnapped one of them, cast a spell on her, and the connection was formed. Another one found them, and the two fought fiercely. On his dying breath, the Rattlecobra cast a Resurrection spell on himself, so he would return and use the connection to drain the energy out of these poor, unsuspecting creatures..."

“Uh, Poppy, what's that?" Branch asked nervously, pointing to a picture in the book. “That looks like..."

"