The First Name Part One

After Moritaka read the first "rule" of the "Death Note," he quickly closed it. The wind seemed to grow stronger, and a cold chill was sent down his spine. He decided it would be best to head straight home and figure out the Notebook at home rather than the middle of the street. 

It took him two train stops to get home from the café. It was around 11:30 so everyone was most likely already asleep. He tiptoed through the front door and cautiously closed and locked it. He then walked to his room and threw his bag on his bed. He immediately pulled out the notebook.

"I wonder why it's all in English," he said as he flipped the book open to the first page. There were so many rules Moritaka felt as though it would take years to read them all. He frowned and pulled out his English dictionary, searching for words he did not know.

A strong draft suddenly pushed his window open and Moritaka swung around to face it. He heard the flap of wings and saw a face, an inhuman face. He screamed and fell from his chair, which sent the notebook flying. The figure glided into the room and laughed a bone-chilling laugh. 

"So, I see you've found my note," a raspy voice called out in a taunting tone. The creature smiled and laughed more as Moritaka shook with fear. He hoped that it wasn't there to kill him.

"W-w-what do you want from me?" He asked shakily, moving slowly towards the open door behind him. 

"Well, you picked up my Death Note, so I was summoned."

"What are you, then?"

"I am a shinigami, a god of death. My name is Ryuk, but I have to say, I'm surprised." 

Ryuk tilted his head and looked out the window. Moritaka closed his eyes and heard a loud flap of wings and, "I'll be seeing you soon, Moritaka Mashiro." And a laugh followed.