The Notebook

A drop of rain fell on Moritaka's nose as he walked home. He started walking faster as it started raining heavier. It got to the point where he had to stop in a café to keep from being soaked. His eyes surveyed the seating area for an open table. He spotted one in the back and slid into the chair, it was facing a window so he could see the rain non-stop pouring outside.

"Hello! Welcome to Hava Time Cafe! Is there anything you would like to order?" A waitress said while smiling.

Moritaka was about to answer when a familiar, somewhat annoying voice rang out, "Hey Moritaka, there you are!" It was Akito. He was jumping up and down waving his arms at him. Annoyed, Moritaka waved him over and Akito took the seat with his back facing the window. The waitress smiled at the newcomer and took both of their orders, Moritaka ordering water, and Akito ordering a soda.

"I never thought I would run into you in somewhere like this!" He said gesturing to their surroundings. The building was only half full with most of the customer's heads buried in books or engaging in animated conversation. Moritaka shook his head.

"Yeah, I only stopped here because of the rain. It doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon though," said Moritaka returning his attention to the water the waitress had placed in front of him mere minutes ago. Meanwhile, Akito was pulling papers and various writing and drawing utensils out of his backpack. When finished he turned to Moritaka and started explaining what he wanted to accomplish with Moritaka.

"You see, I want to be come on of the greatest mangaka out there! But, I'll need some help to accomplish that goal, and that means you, Moritkaka Mashiro!" Akito grabbed Moritaka"s hand and shook it, with his eyes closed and with a  huge smile on his face he said, "Pleasure doing business with you!" And stood up.

"Hey wait a minute! I haven't agreed to that! I mean, maybe I would if you would just tell me in a little more detail!" He grabbed onto Akito's sleeve and Akito froze.

"Well, of course, I was planning on explaining it to you when you called." Moritaka looked away and let out a quiet, "Oh."

"I guess we can talk in detail tomorrow after school then. See you!" Said Akito placing 500 ¥ on the table and walking out the door, a chime signaling his exit.

Soon after Akito's departure Moritaka finished his drink and left. It was still raining, but far from how bad it was before.

A few minutes into Moritaka's walk home he heard something fall and hit the ground behind him. He turned around and saw a black notebook with the words "Death Note" on the cover. He cautiously walked over and looked around.

It was half-past ten, and no one was to be seen on the street light lit roads. He bent down and picked the Notebook up. He flipped to the first page.

"The person who's name is written in this note shall die..."