Chapter 10

I remember that day as well. I was 22 and I only spoke in a low mumble. That was why they had me only make the orders, not talk to the customers. I was extremely skittish. I was scared of everyone. Except for one person. I became friends with Barry. I still don’t know what made me say ‘hi’ to him, but I am very grateful I did. He would come in the coffee almost every night at about the same time. Sometimes he would order for just himself, and other times, he would order for his friends as well. When we became friends, it was just us sitting at a table drinking coffee. He would do all the talking and I would just listen. Saying a few words here and there. He would occasionally bring a laptop to work with. I told him if he needed any help, I could. Barry must have been shocked that I was really good with computers. As time went by, I began to talk more, but only to him. I even mention my pet, and that caused me to talk even more. Barry wanted to meet my pet but I told him my boss wouldn’t let him in the shop. I hated leaving poor Zack all by himself. He has separation anxiety. Barry said he could watch Zack for me while I worked. I thought about it for a while before agreeing. So, one night Barry came to my apartment before I had to leave for work.

I heard a knock at my door as I was fixing my tie. I opened the door and Barry came in.

“Hey Barry. I should be back at about 11. Is that ok?”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it. Is that Zack on the table?” Barry asked as he pointed at Zack. Zack was barely a foot long since he was still very young. He was eating but once he heard Barry speak, he stopped and stared at Barry.

“Yeah, that’s Zack. I can’t thank you enough for this.”

“Hey, that’s what friends are for, right?”

Friends? Barry sees me as his friend? I have a friend?

“Yeah. Well, I better get going. If you get hungry or thirsty, just help yourself.” With that, I left for work.

When I came back, I was exhausted. What I saw on my couch had me shocked but also very happy. Zack was asleep on Barry’s lap. Zack had never gone near anyone, let alone sleep on them.

“Welcome back. I made you some tea.”

“Thank you Barry.”

“You ok? You look tired.”

“I’m fine. It’s just I had to remake someone’s order at least 5 different times because one of coworkers keep writing the wrong order. I was the one yelled at though.” I sighed as I sat down next to Barry. Barry patted my back before handing me my cup of tea. This was the closest we have ever gotten. The thought made my face heat up.

“Thanks Barry.”

“Any time y/n.” Barry’s phone vibrated, letting him know he had a text. Zack woke up because of it. Once he saw me, he jumped into my arms. Barry looked at it and sighed.

“Everything ok?”

“Huh? Yeah. Hey um…. I was wondering… could you come over to my place? I need a little help with some computer stuff. I know you don’t feel comfortable meeting new people, but they should be busy. We’ll go straight to the editing room. Zack can come too and you can sleep in the guest room.”

“Sure. I don’t mind. It’s the least I can do to thank you for watching Zack. Just let me get change real quick.”

“No problem.” I left the living room and entered my room. I got undressed and grabbed a band Tee and I put my Legend of Zelda sweater over it. I then grabbed my loose jeans and sneakers. When I reentered the living room, Barry was on the phone, talking to someone. After a moment, he hung up.

“Ready to go?”

“Yeah.”

Zack climbed into my pocket and we left my apartment. We soon made it to Barry’s house and we were right outside the door. I was shaking a little as I fiddled with my fingers. Barry placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled.

“Don’t worry. I’m here.” He opened the door and we walked inside.

“Hey, Barry is back!”

“Barry!”

“Shit.” Two male voices shouted as Barry cursed.

Oh no. People.