Chapter Twenty-Three

Trigger Warning: Death, brief mention of cutting

Alexander's Perspective

I don't know, I just have a hunch. And I'm right about hunches and /you/ know that. Now, are you gonna cut or what?

ring ring ring ring!

Oh thank god, just in time.

I pick up the phone and answer the call. "Hello?"

A woman on the other end spoke back. "Hi, New York General hospital here. Is this Alexander Hamilton?"

Anxiety crawled up my back and into my stomach. "Yes. Why?"

I heard her take in a breath before talking again. "It's your mother."

Shit.

The lady continued. "The doctors say she's going to pass on soon, and she requested to see you."

I hang up, and I head over to the hospital right away, anxiety and adrenaline filling me up as I raced there. There's no time to lose, I have to see her.

I arrive in the hospital, stopping by the desk first and soon going to my mother's hospital room.

When I arrived, her doctor was in there, and nodded to me before they leftthe roomI looked over at my mother.

She was frail and looked more pale from when I last saw her. I knew her condition was getting worse but I never truly realized how bad it was. 

Her glossy eyes looked over at me. "My son.." She manged to get out of her. I headed over to her side, tears welling up a bit.

"I'm here, mom, I'm here." I whispered to her, fighting off tears. I held her hand, gently squeezing it as she squeezed it back, weakly.

"Alexander..." She whispered raspy. "Alexander...my son...my sunshine...I have to leave you so soon...I'm sorry..."

Tears were almost escaping. "It's okay, mom. You can go...rest easy, okay?"

She gave me a weak smile, before whispering her final words. "Take care of yourself, my son...I love you..."

She gently closed her eyes, a beeep soon following it. She's flat-lining.

She's gone. My mother is gone for good. The tears fall out of my eyes as the doctor rushes back into the room. I got up, and I left the hospital.

When I reached outside, all of my emotions cracked out and I start balling. I can't believe I just lost my mother.

She's gone. She can never return.