Front Line - Chapter 16 - The Sister Years

Front Line

Chapter 16 – The Sister Years

  I have left out one important detail till now for a specific reason, the person I am about to speak about means the world to me, and containing them to a few paragraphs in a few chapters isn’t fitting enough. I want everyone to know, even now when I don’t disclose the name, just how much this person really means to me and how they’ve changed my life for the better.

  Around the time that I wanted to go into this area called ‘roleplay’ on Facebook, where you create a whole account based on a book/movie/anime/play character and you put your details as them, my friend Lilly from primary school suggested I do pages. So I did that for a small while before I wanted to try and make the Facebook account based on one person, instead of having loads of pages on things I really wasn’t interested in. That’s what I did, at the time I was into Twilight, I still am but I was really into it, so I did a whole account based around the character Renesmee Cullen, and that is where I met her.

  My friend Lilly was already friends with her before I was, mutual friends not friends friends, so she told me to add this Isabella Marie Cullen that was looking for a daughter, and that’s what I did. Because of what I was doing around the time that I started this, I wasn’t on all the time or even every day, I came on when I had time and when I felt like it. Over the course of a year or so, I had committed a certain amount of my time on Facebook being Renesmee, I would go on at 9pm and leave between 12-1am, I don’t sleep well if I sleep early. At the tail end of the year or so, the girl who I had chosen to be my mother started talking to me in what’s called OOC, out of character, where typically alongside roleplay talk you can say what you want about your real life.

  We had to be cautious as around the time we were both roleplaying, a lot of people did it to stalk and track down innocent and defenceless people and use them for whatever they wanted, so we had to build up the trust and honesty between two strangers before we could even revel small details about each other. Stuff that wouldn’t allow us to be tracked if either one of us was as sick and evil as those who did. I had learned that she lived in America, I won’t disclose as to what state, but she was more than happy to learn that I lived in England. Most of the RolePlayers I had on my friends list were from America, but where she lived was not somewhere I had seen anyone from before. It wasn’t unknown, it’s very well known, but most American RolePlayers were from either New York or Los Angeles, but she wasn’t and it was a pleasant change.

  As time got on, not that long into the future, I discovered she had an apple device. An iPhone. I had a Blackberry at the time, so I could only talk to her over text or Facebook, only when I got my first iPhone, the iPhone5 that I  could finally add her and we started to speak over iMessage. We learned many things in common with each other, we both liked Twilight, Robert Pattinson, France, Tea and such other things. This made me happy that I had found someone so like me that had so much in common with me, it didn’t seem real. She soon became my best friend, the person I was most close to. No one even came close and hasn’t come close to her ever since.

  I learned a few more things about her that shocked me deep down. Ever since she was around the age of 9 she had been subjected to many surgeries right up until now, that’s over 10 years of having surgeries and procedures due to her health. In her mind she was healthy enough, but her body said otherwise. I was upset each time she had to go for a surgery, not because she was leaving my side and wouldn’t be talking to me, but because of what had to be done to her. The thought of being cut open and messed around with, made the bottom most pits of my stomach churn. I wanted to be there for her, I didn’t know if she had anyone else she was this close to, or if she told her friends about it, but I wanted to be the one person that would be there for her.

  Through the surgeries, both before when she told me she would have one, during and after, I made sure I was there. When she told me that she would have a surgery, I would fill her full of happy and positive thoughts, to keep her happy and relaxed. She would still be nervous, but that’s normal. The day of any surgery, I would speak to her till the last minute possible and wish her the best of luck, telling her that she will be fine and that I will be there the second she woke up. When she would wake up, I would tell her that she could take as long as she needs to rest and relax, I would be here for when she needed me. Most of the time she would say that talking to me was what she wanted to do, but I still offered that she rest, thanking her mum for sending me messages when she got out of surgery.

  Despite all this, we still managed to talk, message, send letters and FaceTime each other. I enjoyed every parcel that I would receive from her, each one I treasure and thank my lucky stars for being blessed with such a loving, kind and caring person I consider not my best friend, but my sister. I don’t have a sister but with this person right here, I felt like I had a chance at having one. Someone I could share absolutely anything with, anything and she wouldn’t judge me. Someone that would be there day and night for me, that I could do anything with and it would be the happiest moments of my life. I had found my forever best friend, my forever sister.

  Around the time now these years later, just before the passing of her grandmother, we stopped FaceTiming and Skyping, things got too busy for her. I understood this and I still do, I wouldn’t ever push her into something she doesn’t want to do. If she doesn’t want to do them anymore, I won’t force her into it just for my benefit. I simply said to her, you FaceTime me when you feel ready to, when you want to and not because I want you to. We still send videos, pictures and such things like voice clips to each other, and whatever snippets I get from her, I can’t even express how they make me feel but I’ll give it a try.  Because no one else sends me pictures, videos or voice clips, no one does what we do, when I get something like that from her my lips can’t stretch wide enough as I smile so big. I giggle and jump up and down, sometimes, I clap my hands and I save them to the album that I have of her, it immediately brightens up my day no matter if it is good or bad. Everything that she shares with me, it adds another piece to my heart that no one else could ever come close to putting there.

  Even as I speak we are talking on iMessage, there hasn’t been a single day since we both started talking on iMessage that we haven’t talked. Starting with ‘what do you like to eat’ to now ‘could you look for glass figurines for me’, we find endless things to talk about and I never once have gotten bored talking to her. If I didn’t have her in my life, I would be a completely different person. I wouldn’t be the person that I am today if she hadn’t have come along, she’s given me hope and a reason to carry on when I feel there is no reason. She gives me such support, such love and comfort that I really do look up to her, well down, she’s 5”1. My point here is, she changed me for the better, she is a part of me, she is my life. I love her so much, my little sister, if you’re reading this please do not cry. I wanted to show the world how much you really do mean to me because you do such amazing things for me, no matter what condition you’re in, that I could never do as amazing for you, so this is my way of giving it back to you.  I’ll love you for a thousand years <3

  To sum up, no matter what I have gone through so far in my life, be it small matters like primary school, or being unemployed and single there is always a silver lining to a grey cloud. No matter what life throws your way, there is someone who will have it better and worse than you, sometimes being the middle man isn’t so bad. There will be people who like my little sister that will make life worthwhile, there will be people to knock you down but you are proof enough to get back up and fight life head on, because no matter what, you are your own best friend, you’ll always be there for yourself. You don’t have to be a soldier to be in battle, life is a battle, life is the front line.