Chapter 12

As soon as they'd eaten breakfast, Kae and Patches started the long trip through the Sonora desert toward Phoenix. Kae had nothing to pack except her new birth certificate, Social Security card, medical records and the reparations money from the government. Patches helped her to set up an account at a local bank, find a tiny, furnished flat and set up her address with the post office.

She taught Kae to shop for groceries, showed her how to balance her bank account and went with Kae to purchase a basic wardrobe, toiletries, a cell phone and other small necessities. That night, Patches spent the night on Kae's new couch and come morning, took her by bus to where she would take her GED exam, teaching her to use the public transit system.

"The results come by mail," Kae told her afterward. "How will I get hold of you to tell you the results?"

Patches shook her head. "You don't. We don't exist, remember? From now on, Kae, your life is your own and you have yourself to answer to. Remember what we taught you. Be a hard taskmaster and a forgiving teacher. Make a life. Live free and be content." She gave Kae one last, long hug.

"I'll never forget you, any of you, and I'll pray for you, every night!" promised Kae. She fished around in her new purse for a moment and handed Patches an envelope. "This is for Nakimura. Can you please tell him I said, 'hai'?"

The double entendre made Patches laugh, especially since Kae had pronounced it properly, sort of a cross between the words 'hey' and 'hi'. "Yes, I will tell him you said 'hey'. Oh, and Black Hawk says you should find a dojo here in the city and continue with your training."

"I will," Kae promised. "Thank you for everything, Patches. I'll try to live up to your expectations."

"That's all I ask," Patches assured her before starting her jeep and heading back into the Sonora.

As soon as the tan jeep was out of sight, Kae went back into her building and knocked on her landlady's door. "Pardon me, but would you have a phone book I could borrow?"

Soon, Kae was at the unemployment office, filling out a form and looking for work. "I know I don't have any skills or employment record," she told the clerk, "but surely there must be something I can do to get myself started while I wait for my scores?"

It wasn't long before Kae found herself mopping floors at a local grocery store. The hours were long, the pay low, but Kae was glad to have a job. It was a beginning at least, and she felt she had a long way to go.

<><

Pacu looked at his Sensei with concern. Normally, not even Black Hawk could best Nakimura at randori but Mariko had thrown the master three times in a row. Nakimura apologized. "Perhaps when I have been punished enough, my mind will clear enough to focus on the task at hand; Pacu, practice swords, please?"

But even an aching head hadn't been enough to bring Nakimura's unruly thoughts in line and Pacu took no pleasure in the unusual victory. "Master Nakimura, why do you not just go?" he asked, referring to Kae. "It's been six months!"

"There is no reason to go," Nakimura explained. "She is in college now, with good grades. Her bank accounts are in order, with regular deposits from her job on campus and she is receiving medical treatments at a reputable hospital. There are even reoccurring charges on her card to a dojo in the city. I checked into it and the sensei is above reproach."

"Sensei Nakimura has it bad, if he is keeping that tight of surveillance on her," Mariko observed. "She will return here one day. You will see."

"I merely wish to see that my student is surviving well. She reminds me of a small bird out of her nest for the first time."