Introduction to Akriti

************

This is it. I thought. This is the college I want to go to. I will go, study well, and one day, become the architect I have always wanted to become.

See, I have everything planned out.

I will do everything according to this plan of mine, and everything will turn out perfect.

I will have to study now, so that later in life I can enjoy.

That is exactly what I have always heard from my father.

'Your life has been divided into two parts. In one part, you will have to work hard. You will have to invest all your time in doing something to achieve something. But it is your choice. You will have to decide which part of life you want this to be.'

His words held great meaning.

I could work hard and study now, while I simultaneously get to enjoy my life as a teen. I can work hard and also know that I have a home I can go back to, where everything will be provided to me.

Or, I could simply waste away my teenage going to parties, and then later in life, struggle because I wouldn't have a job, or a house..

My choice was obviously the first one.

My goal was set. Just like Arjuna, I had eyes only for the eye of the bird.

And I was sure I would succeed.

I clicked the send button.

Now all I had to was to wait for my mail.

*******

It had been two weeks since I had applied for a seat in (I totally made this up) Ambedkar University in Bangalore.

I wanted to go to Bangalore, because

a) I would be closer to my hometown Mangalore

b) many of my friends were living in the same city

c) my relatives, like very close ones too lived there

d) I knew the city like the back of my hand, since it was where my mother was from

e) I love that city!!

It was not like I could not study in Mangalore. In fact there were some of the best colleges for science in Mangalore itself.

But the problem was, I wanted to live independently, away from my overprotective parents for a small time.

My parents understood this,(after a lot of coaxing, of course) and had agreed to my plan of going to college in Bangalore.

And now when I had my letter of acceptance in my hand, I was all but screaming with joy.

My father, Deepak Shetty, was a very successful builder. He loved classical music and that was how he fell in love with my mom. He was quite handsome for his age.

My mother, Shakuntala Shetty was a veena and carnatic vocal music teacher. Apart from that, she was a great cook and a perfectionist. My mother didn't look her age. In fact, she looked ten years younger.

I also have a brother, Karan Shetty. Elder by 8 years. He is a chartered accountant, and is married to his college love, Maitreyi Shetty. He is the most overprotective and loving brother anybody could ask for. He is really handsome, but I never tell this to him. It will only boost his ego.
His wife is the sweetest sister in law. She too loves to cooks, and has a great relationship with my mom.

Also, I get to eat different types of delicious food everyday, and also learn new recipes, so everything was perfect.

I looked at the letter again. I couldn't help but do a small victory dance.

I was going to my dream college!!!