Chapter 1; A Peculiar Rescue

(Told from Harry's Point of view)

The room was silent. The Dursley's had just left for something. They didn't tell me what. My door was locked. Normally I probably would have picked the lock, or took advantage of the silence, but I had so many things to think about.

Hedwig had just left to deliver the same letter, three times, to Sirius, Ron, and Hermione. Me and Dudley had just been attacked by dementors, and Aunt Petunia just got a howler, which made me think that she was somehow in touch with wizards. She was the last person who I thought would ever be in touch with wizards.

Not to mention all the letters. The ones from the Ministry and from Sirius and Dumbledore, saying that I'd been expelled, and then saying there would be a hearing, and a quite a few from Arthur saying not to leave the house.

I turned onto my side. I felt my fingers curling into fists, and my nails digging into my palms. The letters I've been getting were the most frustrating things about this summer; all of them were vague, all of them told me nothing, all of them said I'd be frustrated by them and that they couldn't tell me anything.

I started drumming my fingers on the bedside table, when I heard a crash downstairs. I slid off the bed, thinking about who could possibly be breaking into the house at this time of night.

Burglars. But— burglars would keep their voices down, and whoever was moving around the kitchen right now was certainly not bothering to do so.

I picked up my wand and advanced slowly toward the door. I held it up, and pointed it at the lock, but before I was able to utter anything, the lock clicked and the door swung open.

I stepped quietly out into the pitch dark hallway. I held out my wand toward the staircase, which I couldn't see either.

"Lower your wand, boy, before you take someone's eye out."

My heart leapt. I knew that low, growling voice, but didn't lower my wand. "Professor Moody?"

"Don't know about Professor, didn't get around to much teaching, did I?" Now come down here so we can see you properly."

I lowered my wand slightly, but didn't relax my grip. I had a good reason to, considering his imposter had tried to kill me in my last year.

"it's alright Harry, we've come to take you away."

My heart leapt again. "Professor Lupin? Is that you?"

"Why are we all standing in the dark?" Said another voice. This one belonged to a woman, which I didn't recognize. "Lumos."

Her wand tip flared, illuminating the stairway. There were so many people at the foot of the stairs, I had to count them individually. Lupin was closest to me. The woman holding the wand looked the youngest, and she had short, spiky hair that was a violent shade of violet.

"Ooh, he looks just like I thought he would." The woman said. "Wotcher, Harry."

"I see what you mean, Remus. He looks exactly like James." Said a bald wizard in the back.

"Except for his eyes." Squeaked a short, grey haired man next to him. "Lily's eyes."

"Harry's probably damn tired of hearing that."

At this voice, I had to keep myself from grimacing.

Loki walked from behind the tall, bald wizard who said I looked like my father. His hair was extra long, and it was lazily slicked back onto his shoulders. He was wearing a very strange outfit. It looked tight and leathery, with a long overcoat that stopped right at his ankles. He also wore heeled boots with an intricate undershirt and pants.