Three

After thinking everything over about our fight I started to wonder, should I relent and say sorry for my actions?  Finally, I relented and went to her bedroom door.  Knocking lightly I hear a distracted, “Come in.”  Walking into the bedroom I found Mom lying on her bed with a thick book in her hands.  Sitting on the corner of her bed I say, “Isn’t it a little dark to be reading?”  She replied, “Why are you in here, really?”  Sighing I reply, “I’m sorry for yelling at you.”  In a questioning voice she says, “You are, are you?”

“Yes, I am, and if you can’t accept that then don’t, but I am going to work today.  It’s five thirty now, I am leaving at six.”  After that I walked out of her room and to mine down the hallway.  Closing the door to my room I sunk to the floor and hugged my knees to my chest.  Resting my head on my knees I held back the tears that threatened to spill over.  Finally getting up I hurried up and threw on a teal long sleeve shirt, jeans, and my old torn up high-tops.  After brushing my hair so that it looked decent I went downstairs and called Henry to see if he would give me a ride to work.  Meeting Henry out front I hugged him tight and said, “Thanks for everything last night, it meant a lot to me that you came over on such short notice.”

“My pleasure.” He replied with affection apparent in his voice.

“So are you going to work today, or has Bill given you a chance to stay home and catch up on that new video game you just got?”  I asked accusingly.

“I am going to work today actually; I have to be there at seven.  You have to be there by…?”

“Six-thirty, so move your behind.”

“Ouch, are you still grumpy, or you just like this with me?”

“I said move it.”

“Okay, okay.  I’m going.”

               After getting to the Cliff Hanger I got my apron and signed in.  Walking around front I saw that Henry had taken up residence on one of the ten barstools in front of the counter.  Walking over to the cash register I asked him, “Do you really plan on sitting there for half an hour with nothing to do?”

“Nope, I plan on sitting here for a half-hour with, hmmmmm…a cheese burger, fries, and a Coke.

“Is that all your royal highness?”  I asked, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

“I think so, how much do I owe you?”

“Ten dollars.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, since when was all that ten dollars?”

“Since you get extra cheese and ketchup on your burger.  You also get extra salt on your fries.  Also because it is me who is making it.”

“Oh, well at least give me a small ice cream cone.”

“Even though it’s summer, we still live in Maine.  Why do you want ice cream?”