Chapter 1 - A Moment

-Maika's POV-

I shoved the handle of the door, sliding it open to see the classroom filled with students of the same year.

The noise chatters died down immediately, everyone stared at me like they have never seen an actual human being.

"What?" My brows furrowed.

All of them looked away upon hearing my voice.

I glanced over to see one of the few friends I have waving to me.

"They're here!!!!"

A bunch of squeals interrupted me before I could even wave back to my friend.

I turned around to see two guys entering the classroom.

"What's with the commotion?" I asked as I folded my arms, nudging my head towards them.

"Aren't they just...our classmates?"

"To be honest, Kawakami-kun is pretty cool." Akari-chan answered.

"Kawakami?" My brows furrowed.

"Kawakami Minato. That one." She pointed.

I looked over to see a composed guy. He has strawberry blonde hair, big and deep dark eyes, and he carries a poker face expression.

He was walking behind the supposedly popular school's prince, Yamamoto Ren.
He, on the other hand, has black hair and always appears cheerful and bubbly.

I guess they're what everyone calls 'ikemen', considering how they're star struck.

"You like the quiet one, huh?" I smirked.

"No, no, I just thought he looks cool." She waved her hands shyly.

"Alright!" My eyes diverted to the front when I heard the homeroom teacher calling for our attention.

"It's time to decide on the seating arrangement."

"Ehhh..." The class whined in unison.

The homeroom teacher began to assign each and everyone a seat...and I was one of the last few to be called.

"Akiyama, you're assigned to the last window seat."

I moved and went to sit down as instructed.

"Kawakami, you're in front of Akiyama."

He walked over and we exchanged eye contact.

He has no expression. Nothing at all. Well, I guess I'm a little like that too, probably in the eyes of others.

Huh, so who's beside me?

"Yamamoto! Stop flirting and move to your seat." The homeroom teacher groaned in frustration when he saw Yamamoto all smitten with a girl near the door.

"Oops. Sorry." He shrugged.

Wait, why am I surrounded by the both of them?

"Hey, what's your name?" I heard his voice calling out to me as he sat down on the seat beside mine.

I turned to look at him for just a second before rolling my eyes and turning back to face the window right after.

"Oh...the one with an attitude." He chuckled.

"Okay, pass down the forms!"

Kawakami turned around and passed me the paper. We exchanged eye contact again. Somehow, his eyes got me thinking that they were...rather captivating.

He's so different from Yamamoto. Which got me wondering, how are the both of them besties?

They're so different. Opposites attract, huh.

• • •

The school bell rang, signalling the end of the day.

"Maika-chan, I'll get going now." Akari-chan came up to me.

"Yeah, take care." I did a small wave.

I started to pack up my things as well.

"Hey, wanna come hang out with me?"

It's Yamamoto again.

"No." I glared at him.

I lifted my bag off the desk and stormed out of the classroom.

Walking down the usual pathway home, a couple walked past, hand-in-hand, looking into each other's eyes like they were unaware of their surroundings, totally absorbed in their own world.

How nice...

I wonder how does it feel to have someone who wants to protect, love and cherish you?

That sort of feeling...well...I'm not the type to admit it so easily. I don't want my vulnerable side to be revealed to others. Even right now, if someone asks me if I want to fall in love, I wouldn't tell the truth.

"You dropped something." A voice was heard from the back.

I turned around to see Kawakami.

He walked to me and placed the pouch on my palm.

"Thank you." I replied.

"You'll find one."

"Huh?"

I looked over to where he was looking at.

Oh. What?

He was gazing at the couple I was staring at.

I chuckled, shaking my head slightly and turning around, back to walking.

"Well, what about you?" I asked.

Weird, I don't usually engage in conversations.

"Hopefully?"

"Aren't you popular with girls?" I said, still without looking at him but I did notice his presence behind me.

"I don't like the attention."

I stopped my footsteps. His words...somehow caught my attention.

Well, just for a moment, okay?

I turned my head and realised he has caught up to me. Our eyes met and...that was the first time I have looked at him properly.

His eyes...are so mysterious, I felt lured in. Not to mention that he does have a handsome, charming face...along with those sharp jawline and smooth lips.

"Don't worry, I wouldn't give you any."

—————————————————————
Author's note
—————————————————————
If you're wondering how Kawakami (Minato)'s hair colour looks like...

His hair colour is inspired by Takumi Shirakawa from Defying Kurosaki-kun.

Thank you for reading and I hope you'll continue on this journey of love and self discovery!