chapter four

Basehor, Kansas

Basehor, Kansas

2018, AD

5:05 pm

Eddie stared at the five objects in front of her, holding the sixth in her hand. The orbs were beautiful and she had never seen anything like them. Each individual orb was different, the only similarity between them was their size and the way the sheer insides seemed to move whilst shimmering in the fluorescent lights.

Back at the river, Eddie had seen the eerie glow of sapphire contrast against the rivers murky water. Her attention had shifted from Mino to the glow in the water. Sitting by the edge of the water she was able to get a better look.

At first, she thought she found some type of gem. Deciding to pick it up, she reached her hand into the freezing water, the hair on her unshaven legs perking up immediately. The moment her hand touched the gem the water no longer seemed cold. If fact, it seemed inviting. Like a warm cup of hot chocolate after playing outside in the snow or cold glass of lemonade in the summer heat. It was calling to her, trying to guide her somewhere.

Basehor Erevnas. An old research facility shut down seven years ago due to dumping excess materials into the Magnítis River. No one had set foot in the place for years. Until now.

That's how Eddie had come to the conclusion that these were not ordinary gems.

Hearing the rusted hinges on the decrepit door she turned her head to look at who had entered the building.

"I invite one person and six show up," Eddie stated becoming uneasy at the number of people filing into the dusty room.

"Sorry," Nalani replied shrugging her shoulders, "It just kind of happened."
"It's fine, just come over here and look at what I found."

At her request, the six teenagers shuffled over and stared at the orbs in front of them in astonishment, the vibrant colors reflecting onto their faces.

"What are they?" Helani asked stepping toward the pink spherical shape on the wooden table in front of her.

"That's the confusing part," Eddie said, "I have no idea. At first, I thought they were some type of gem. Then I touched one."

"What happened when you touched one?" Elly asked with concern for her former friend.

"See for yourself," Eddie replied in a shyer tone than before, "Only if you want to, I mean."

With her curiosity taking over her common sense Elly reaches her hand forward and grabbed one of the tiny orbs and squeezed it in her clenched palm. A vivid green light flashed, faded, then disappeared.

Shocked by the reaction the orb has given her Elly screamed in surprise and quickly set the orb back down. Then a red flash light up the room and everyone turned their heads toward Kai. Elly turned to look at him with horror in her eyes.

"Anything that happens to you happens to me," He explained becoming shy under the gaze of everyone else.

"Shit, man, now that's love," Eddie stated.

"Are you two," Nalani stumbled to find the right word, "Feeling normal?"

"Except for my racing heartbeat, yes," Elly replied immediately easing the people around her.

"So peculiar. I've never heard or seen anything like this," Helani said circling the table. "I'm tempted to touch one."

"Well from what we know so far, it's safe." Nalani stated, "So why not?"

Nalani closed her eyes as she took the sunshine yellow orb into her hands not wanting to be blinded by the flash of light the orb produced. As the light in the orb dispersed the fluorescent lights in the room shut off encasing everyone in darkness. The only source of light were the remaining two orbs shimmering pink and silver.

"Why did the lights shut off?" Elly asked shying closer to Kai.

"It's an old building that hasn't had the lights on in years. Probably just blew a fuse or something," Aaron explained, "Let's grab the other two-sphere things and go. I'll grab the silver. Helani," The girl's head snapped up shifting her attention from the orbs, "Grab the pink one."

"Why me? We still don't know if this is dangerous!"

"Because everyone else is already carrying one. C'mon, this will be a fun bonding experience."

"I don't want to bond with you."

"Too bad," Aaron stated grabbing the silver orb rapidly blinking his eyes after the spark of light. Helani begrudgingly grabbed the pink orb.

After the light flashed she screamed grabbing the side of her head. The orb dropped to the floor only to be caught by Elly. Panic flooded into Helani's peers as they watched tears flow down her mud-brown eyes.