act XXII

"File loading.."

. .

. . .

"File opened."

- - - - - - - - - -

A few seconds were silent after the textboxes informed me of the file opening, then the air in front of me started flashing colours.
A small space started glitching out, causing odd beeping noises & the sound of a voice. The voice had no gender to it, just an autotuned, electrified voice.

"Finally," the voice muttered.
2 deadly white eyes looked up at me from the blob of glitching & colours, almost like if it were to smile.

"I'm mx.exe."

I backed up from the entity a bit, trying to keep some space.
Who knows? It could be on the enemies side, or just out to kill.

"You don't have to worry." it exclaimed. The odd voice had small hints of emotion, but for the most part stayed flat to the electricity running through it. "I'm not going to hurt you."

It looked up at me, waiting for any sort of response. But honestly, how was I supposed to react? I just opened a random file & this thing comes here, claiming to not be agaisnt me. How am I to be sure that it isn't lying, manipulating me? Who- what am I supposed to trust here? Not any form of physics, but that's been clear since day 1.

"Uh," I rubbed the back of my neck, confused. "I'm A6d?"

"I know you are." it paused for second that seemed like hours. "I am like you- or, I was. I was Fallen's last 'hero'."

"Last hero?" What does he mean by 'last hero'?

"I can read your thoughts, sir. And, yes. Fallen has had many people beefore you, originally from this land & not. People like you, stuck between a world of life & death. Others who have found the secret of this hell they once called home. But something they all had in common; they all lost agaisnt the monster."

It stopped, giving a small amount of time for this to sink in.
I'm not the first.

"Another thing they have in common," he continued, "They all watched the next one fail, die. When we die our souls die with us, killing us in the real world. If we were from there, of course. We lost all of our memories, except for our time in Fallen. Our only identity are the ones we have here. We've all watched people go & try to beat the monster- which yes, you & Techno's assumption's are correct. The monster is Youtube."

So we were right, how could we have not been?
It all made sense now. Fallen was a game to trap the players, create an alternate reality of what they know, just to ruin it all & torture them. We are the monster's puppets, every fallen hero.
I don't feel much like a hero.

"That's not important, you don't need to save the world to be a hero." It explained. "But., you kind of are. This world is between the real world & the world of the dead, that's why it's explained as fallen. The alternate versions of yourself here tie into here & affect you in real life. If you die here, you die in the real world. When you die in the real world, it wipes you existence from here, like you were never a thing. All because it wasn't part of the code."

"So, everyone has a planned death, this world just controls it?"

"Yes, but sometimes things happen & those change. Like, fires, plane crashes, car accidents."

It's voice went lower with the words 'car accidents.'
"So you're saying.. If I don't beat the monster here, I die in the real world & lose myself in this world?"

"Correct. Now before you ask why it's important you are here in this world; some questions are better left unanswered."

I nodded, trying to take all of this in. I'd just processed the fact I was actually here, & now this. How eventuful, this'd make for a video..

"Ah, yes, the true mind of a youtuber, always looking for content.." it snickered, going on. "I am going to train you & your friend Technoblade, or.. Dave?"

Shivers went down my spine the way it said Dave.
"Yes."

"Good, I will teach you how coding works here & I will help you prepare for the final battle. Along with the final battle, I will be there assisting you. It's something all of the fallen heroes never had, but needed so desperately. We are not letting this monster win again."

It stared at me intensely, yet eyes seeming so calm from the lack of flair.
"It's our turn."