My Best Friend, Death {Chapter 1}

It was an average day, as my average days go that is. I was slowly swinging on the tire my father had so many years ago hung from the ancient oak that stood in our backyard. I glanced up to see the old twine taunt looking for the tiniest fracture, since we were all waiting for it to snap, but it hasn't yet. It was autumn and the crisp smell of fallen leaves and apple cider hung in the air, like clouds in the sky. Most people had already carved and put out their pumpkins, their toothy grins and hollow center staring at me as I would walk down the street. Clithridiate Road was the name of the twisting path we lived on. When I was little, I had always wondered if it had a meaning. I believe it had something to do with the shape of a key hole.

"Sam Rebel! Damn it, were is she?" I could hear my mother yelling inside our home. Why she uses my full name is unknown. The back door opened and my little brother, Zachariah, came running out.

"Sissy, Mommy's looking for you." Zach said, and ran up to me, attempting with all his might to push me off the swing, which was his favorite toy.

"There you are, Sam! I've been going crazy looking for you! Your friend is on the phone. Said it was important." My mom stepped outside. Everyone told me I looked like her. I would try and keep back a laugh, because they must have been blind.

My mom is a short, slightly plump woman with black hair and brown eyes. I'm a tall, thin fifteen year old with strawberry blonde hair, a couple hundred freckles, and grey-amber eyes. If anything, I looked more like my dad than anyone else. He was one of the only people I knew that was taller then me, and while he did have brown hair, ours eyes are similar, if not the same. The resamblince between us was a weird occurance, since I am adopted.

"I'm coming right now." I said and surrendered my spot to Zach, "I get to sit there when I get back."

"No!" He yelled at me and grinned, laughing.

"Sam! I will not tell this boy to hold one more time. Either get your ass over here now, or I'm hanging the phone up." My mom calls from inside.

I quickly run and snatch the phone away as she is about to hang it up.

"Hello?" I say, placing my left hand on my hip and transfering my weight.

"Open the front door, will ya'?" A voice said to me. A grin placed itself on my face and I slamed the phone down, getting an annoyed look from Mom, and ran to open our front door. I almost fell rounding the corner, I had forgotten I wasn't wearing my socks with the grips on the bottom. Out of breath, I yank open the door to see... no one. I walk outside and look around, my gaze scanning like a robot's would. I nearly attack when some one taps me on the shoulder.

"Boo." The smooth voice is right by my ear, and I jump around and scream, as if to attack.

"Anubis, I hate you!" I say and shove him on the shoulder. Anubis smiled the lady-killer smile he had perfected over the years and laughed.

Anubis, one of the total of two people that are taller than I am, wore his hair long, the black folicles flopping over his eyes. Those eyes the brightest of blues, so much so they were icy. He wore jeans with the usual boots, heavy metal T-shirt, and a leather jacket. He was my best friend.

"Jeez, Rebel! You should have seen your face!" He said and tried to imatate what I had looked like.

"Anubis Thanatos!" My mom stood at the door I had carelesly left open, "What a surprise."

"'Sup, Mrs. Gwin?" Anubis replied, turning around and reaching for a high-five from my mom. She eyed his hand like toxic waste, and Anubis slowly put his hand down.

"Sam," She says, still eyeing Anubis, "will you be gone for dinner?"

I nod and she sends a sour smile to Anubis, walking back inside.