Chapter 4

Shieila ran to Sagemho's sm'pa. "Sagemho! Today I can ride you!" Shieila called. Replying to Shieila's voice, Sagemho called in a sort of bray. Shieila touched Sagemho's head, and lead her across the ditch and to a small pasture with a tall fence- a tri'nus, or training pasture. Shieila swung one leg over Sagemho and sat down, but did not take her toes off the ground. Shieila squeezed gently, and as Sagemho moved forward slowly, Shieila toe-walked along the ground. Another squeeze- Shieila toe walked faster, and Sagemho followed. Shieila sat back, and sat hard on Sagemho's plated back. Sagemho slowed down, and Shieila signaled a stop. Shieila patted Sagemho's neck. "Good girl, Sagemho." Shieila slowly took her feet completely off the ground, putting her legs in the proper direction. Shieila smiled. Some dinosaurs, especially the low-to-the-ground ones, would buckle under the weight of a human. Others, normally the ones with a strong build, would buck and throw the rider. Tall dinosaurs like brachiosaurus would gallop of uncontrollably. Shieila squeezed. Sagemho trotted smoothly. Another squeeze from Shieila, and Sagemho cantered, and Shieila was filled with joy. The type of proud joy that is only granted to the very selfless of people... Shieila gasped. Her-one of the most selfless of people? Shieila brought Sagemho down to a trot, and a walk. At the entrance, Shieila halted and dismounted. She walked over to a series of hooks holding all sorts of equipment. Shieila took off an ankylosaurus training bridle, and slowly eased it over Sagemho's head. Sagemho backed up, and ducked her head. Then she slowly came towards Shieila calmly. Shieila tilted her head, asking in universal dinosaur language, may I? Sagemho nodded yes, and Shieila mounted. She took the reins in her hands loosely, while still keeping a feel for Sagemho's mouth. Shieila kept training all day.

---------------------------------------------

Ta-hooooooon. Ta-hooooooon. Shieila heard the sacred wooden gathering horn blast one month later. Sagemho was now fully trained for normal riding, and Sagemho had moved into Shieila's ha'te. Sometimes that would be a big deal, but in some stories, they told of such a relationship between human and dinosaur that it would just be natural for the dinosaur to move in. Shieila ran beside Sagemho to the center plaza near Imstron's ha'te. Imstron walked out to the edge of the plaza. Around the edge of the packed dirt circle were ten sod pillars with a wooden roof.

"Welcome. I am here to inform the many of you who own ankylosauruses that the ankylosaurus dance will be taking place Summer the 10th at sunset. Farewell."
The ankylosaurus dance? Shieila thought. It happened every 5th Summer. She wasn't sure if she could remember the last time the ankylosaurus dance had happened. Shieila must have been... Six. She smiled at Sagemho with excitement.