{Chapter 2}

Mia Dawson

The consult made me late for my class, which is Inferences from Biological Remains, where I'm pretty sure the teacher is not very fond of me. Great. Just great.

I study Forensic Science at London Metropolitan University. It's always been a huge passion of mine to study and hopefully work in this area practically. And no, I was not inspired by CSI. Pretty sure it helped a few of my classmates to make their decision thought. But not me.

''Miss Dawson, glad you could join us.'' Professor Antonio said, acknowledging my presence, and making almost everyone turn around. I internally rolled my eyes at this guy. Almost all professors in college don't care if you show up to class, but not him. He wants us all here, like an orchestra, where he can shape us with his wooden stick.

I don't know why he doesn't like me, but frankly, I don't like him either. As you can see.

I just ignored him and proceeded to my seat, where my best friend Anne welcomed me, with the biggest grin I have ever seen. ''Quite an entrance woman.''

I sat down. ''I just don't know how to enter without making one.'' I teased, taking from my bag the book necessary for this class. I was not really in the mood to come, but then again, the alternative was staying at home, hollowing on my thoughts and that wouldn't do me any good.

''How did it go?'' Anne asked while writing down something the professor just said.

With my lack of response, she turned to me. ''What?'' She asked again, this time raising her eyebrow at me. She always knew when something was up with me.

I waved it off. ''We'll talk later.'' I stated, turning around the course of the conversation. This isn't something I feel like talking now, at this moment, in the class of this moron. ''On the break.'' I added.

She stared for a few seconds but then nodded in agreement.

***

''Tumour?'' Anne gasped quite loudly after I told her everything after class. We decided to skip lunch at the cafeteria and bought a couple of sandwiches instead and ate them sitting on the patio of our college, which is quite nice. I never truly appreciated it that much. Until now. And I know it may sound cliché, but sometimes you just need a shock in your life to appreciate the things that are in front of you. ''What kind of tumour? What did they mean by ten percent?'' She asked dumbfounded looking at me. Her forehead frowned. You could see the confusion and worry on her face.

''Oligodendrocytes, it's in my brain.'' I answered, taking a bit at my sandwich. I wasn't hungry and that bite confirmed my suspicion.

Her shoulders fell. ''I- I- ...'' She stammered. Anne never stammered. She wanted to say something, but I could see she visibly couldn't. And she was visibly frustrated with the fact that she couldn't.

''Doctor said I got to have three rounds of chemotherapy, then surgery, and then radiation.'' I informed the rest, taking advantage of her lack of response.

I took another bite of the sandwich, before giving up. ''When will you start? Soon I hope?'' She questioned.

I looked away prepared to hear a holly Mary coming down on me. ''I decided to postpone Chemotherapy for now. The doctor said I had maybe three to six months before it started to invade any major areas in my brain.''

And then she slapped me on my arm. ''You decided what?'' She hissed, visually upset by what left my mouth a few seconds ago. ''Mia, are you out of your mind? Seriously? Do you think that is something to mess around with?'' She added mumbling loudly.

I rolled my eyes. Internally of course. ''You sound just like my mother.'' I stated, turning around frustrated.

She snorted. ''Well, in this case, I'm not mad that I do.'' She double-crossed. She shifted her position to face me better, putting her purse on the side. ''Why are you postponing it? Isn't it better to start as early as you can?'' She inquired, her expression so as her attitude starting to calm down.

''It is.'' I muttered, visibly annoyed with the fact that she was right. I just wish she wasn't.

''Then why?'' She insisted.

I crossed my arms, feeling the weight of the words that would be going to leave my mouth hit me. ''Because there is a ten percent of chance of the surgery working, which means that there is a ninety percent chance that it doesn't.'' I blurted out blankly.

''Mia.'' She called.

''Don't Mia me.'' I stated, looking at her. ''I know that maybe I'm being selfish, but at the same time, I'm not. I'm seven months away from finishing college and getting my degree done.'' I started, but before she could contest, I continued. ''And before you can say anything, I know that college is not more important than my health and for a lot of people, my motive may sound foolish and even pathetic, but for me, it isn't. I worked my ass off to get here, to finally have something.'' I stopped for a few seconds. ''I don't know what the chemo will do to me. I don't know if I will be able to stand at my graduation. I don't know anything. But what if I die in surgery?'' I inquired rhetorically.

''Mia-''

I interrupted her. ''It's a possibility, Anne. It could happen.''

I saw her shallow deeply, reflecting on what left my mouth. ''It's not going to be the case. You're strong. You can do this.'' She encouraged, bringing a hand towards my shoulders, cherishing it.

I gave her a small beam. ''I have seen stronger people than me die.'' I stated.

''Every case is different.'' She responded, trying to appeal to my positive side, which she knew I usually have.

''I know.'' I spoke. ''But I'm twenty-one. If I have to leave this Earth, I like to feel like I have accomplished something for myself. I lot of people have bucket lists and stuff like that. I just want to finish my major. And I thought at least you would support me on this one.'' I finished, making her drop her hand.

''Come on!'' She cried, almost offended by my words. ''I'm always here for you. And you know that I will support you no matter what, so don't you dare question that.''

''Then support me on this.'' I pleaded, making one last attempt.

She looked at me and I could swear that I saw her roll her eyes at me. Now I will kill her. ''Fine, but if somehow, somewhere you start to feel sick, or anything I will bring you to the doctor and I don't care what you have to say then. You will go and that's the end of it.'' She responded, her voice commanding.

Now it was my time to snort. ''You sound like my doctor.''

''He is a wise person then.'' She uttered, grabbing her bag.

I saw a few seconds ago on my watch that we were late and made her a sign. We got up and started to walk toward the building where we were having classes. ''Just promise me something.'' I started catching her attention. ''Don't tell anyone on the group. Not know at least.''

She opened her mouth to say something, but I gave her a look, making her take a step back from what she was about to say. ''Gotcha.''