Chapter 1

"Oi! Jauregui! You ready for the season?"

"Hey there, beautiful! Missed you last weekend girl!"

"Captain Jauregui is on the vicinity, everyone pay your respects and make way."

Lauren made her way through the halls, responding to the various shouts from friends and winking at a couple of the guys she passed as they flexed their arms and cheesed when she passed, whispering to their friends.

She arrived at the same beat up locker she had used for the past three years, sighing as she unlocked the familiar lock.

She had yet to see any of her best friends, but figured they were all doing their various before class routine and that she'd see them later.

"Lo, you're here earlier than usual," a familiar voice sounded to her right and she looked up to see a dirty blonde boy leaned against the locker next to her.

"Hello, Lu. I have to put up the soccer tryouts sign up sheet and announce the times so I had to get up early," she replied with a smile.

If possible, Luis had gotten hotter over the summer, his hair lighter and arms bigger, eyes brighter and clothing more fitted.

Too bad it didn't affect her at all.

See, they had dated freshman and sophomore year of high school, but then, Normani and Lauren had become best friends, and Normani made Lauren realize that she was more interested in females than she was males.

So, after a very interesting and slightly comical break up, Lauren became the gay best friend Luis had always wanted, Normani and Lauren hooked up for a while, and then, Normani found love with Ally, and Lauren decided to focus on soccer rather than relationships.

Of course, the majority of the school thought Lauren and Luis, also known as Lo and Lu, were still dating (although they had constantly denied this and Luis had hooked up with other girls).

Not that this stopped any of the boys from trying to get Lauren to like them.

The thing was, she had a lot going for her.

She had been captain of the soccer team since her sophomore year, her grades were stellar, and yeah, she was easy on the eyes, but she didn't really care for guys and she really wasn't looking for a relationship.

They took too much time, they took too much effort, and honestly, she was leaving in a year, so why would she start something that would just have to end when she left the next summer?

She was realistic.

It wasn't that she didn't enjoy relationships because really, she did. It was just that she hated when there was a time stamp on a relationship and she didn't see the point in starting something that she knew she would end.

She had a plan (getting recruited for a D1 soccer team, going to university, and then, playing the big leagues) and she didn't want a relationship to get in the way of that.

High school relationships rarely lasted into college, and she didn't want to get attached to someone with the knowledge that they would be saying goodbye in the near future.

It simply wasn't worth it.

And anyway, she had her best friends and she had Lu, she didn't need anyone else.

If she needed anything physical, well, she had hook up buddies that did the trick.

Basically, she had everything she needed plus more and this year her focus needed to be solely on soccer.

"We going to State this year, Captain?" Luis asked, slipping his hand in the curve of Lauren's arm, earning many glares from other boys, as they began to walk down the hall toward the Bulletin Board.