Chapter 27

A/N

It has come to my intention that "Marie Lu" is the name of a YA author. So here's a quick disclaimer.

Any resemblance to real persons or other real-life entities is purely coincidental. All characters and other entities appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, dead or alive, or other real-life entities, past or present, is purely coincidental

Isla stared at her companion seating next to her at the back seat on a Saturday before Christmas. As usual, Benjamin was driving them towards the Church and they were caught in the holiday shopping traffic.

The truth was, Isla hadn't known Evonnie would call her for the continued favor. Isla was planning to head over to the flower shop where Alessandra Adams works. There is a slight chance she might catch some detectives interviewing the Filipino girl, and she was ever curious to see how Adams would smoothly lie this one out.

Yet, everything was thrown at the window. Beside her, Evonnie had a pocket notebook and a pen in her hand, she was translating some Filipino words into English.

As she scribbling away, Isla dared a glance at her hands. The fingers of Evonnie's right hand were tapping in contemplation. She had the most delicate-looking but calloused hands than any girl Isla had ever seen.

Isla just wanted to hold them and kiss the fingertips. Just looking at her hands was doing the same wild things to the secrets places of her body. And the remembrance of the dream from last night did not help either.

She scowled at herself and looked away, impatiently thrusting a fringe of blonde hair out of her eyes. Ashamed of her fantasies involving Evonnie. She had done splendidly on forgetting that stupid dream, until now. She had learned no matter how much she ignored it, it will come back tenfold to haunt her.

"Making a habit of calling me for sneaky transportation, are we?" Isla spoke conversantly. With the object of her affection that close to her, her rational thoughts and her control were decreasing.

"And I am forever indebted to you," Evonnie said, bowing for common courtesy.

"Please refrain from calling it that." Isla smiled. "I decided to help you with purchasing Virgin's tears incognito. No debts attached."

Evonnie's face scrunched up. "Eh?"

"Angel's tears, Lourdes water, Ganges, water, water from the Fountain of Youth, or the Chalice, whatever you want to call it."

Evonnie chuckled silently at the list of names.

"If you would allow it, Evonnie. I would love to know the purpose of the Holy Water. Nothing had piqued my curiosity this much, and I am dying to know."

"You sure you can't guess your way to answer that?" Evonnie raised her brow, thought-provoking her. "Ever since we met you've always been challenging my intellect and you always pry your nose into other people's business."

She slowly shook her head. "I fear I am clueless."

Evonnie blew a raspberry, "It's not a big of a deal."

Isla placed a caring hand on top of Evonnie's. A sudden spark was emitted, sending a slight shock to Isla's body. But she didn't flinch her hand away, she liked the feeling of her smooth skin. "Please?" she batted her eyelashes.

She could swear she saw a cute small blush spreading Evonnie's features.

"It's so that I could be blessed," Evonnie said, abruptly. Her flushed face disappeared almost instantly. "There's like two traditions in the Philippines that my sister and I follow. One is where we buy lucky charms and holy items to help us pass our exams, or pray for the Holy Mary or the Holy Spirit to watch over us, but I have been doing it since I was young I feel like it's losing its powers. Alessandra mentioned that in the province she came from. They would often have a priest douse their pencils and pens with Holy Water so they may use it during their exams."