Chapter 1

POV: Skylar

Alone.

Darkness surrounding you.

You shouldn't feel completely alone in a world so populated, so bright and full of opportunities and new beginnings, should you?

But trust me, you can. You can because I feel that... I feel it every single day of my life.

I can't escape it because the darkness - the darkness has tainted me inside out. I will never be able to escape it.

I know I can't, but I want to. I want to escape it so badly, but the darkness is holding me too tightly, it's limbs wrapped around my body and squeezing the life right out of me. It's suffocating me and I can't seem to escape - I can't find the light.

I can't find myself amongst the fakes I've made to please others.

What does it feel like to be happy? How do you even know if you're really... actually and completely happy?

Do you feel as if you're bursting at the seams from love and support? As if no mountain is too tall to climb and conquer?

No matter how hard I try.

No matter how many times I try.

No matter how many times I pick up the broken pieces. They just won't fit back together anymore, I've been broken too many times it seems.

But it's okay. I'm fine.

I'm always fine.

I'm okay.

I've repeated theses words countless times and I've completely lost track. Hopefully, someday I will actually believe them...

Maybe there isn't any light for me after all. Maybe there is no point in searching for something that doesn't exist.

But I like to hope I have a future, a future where I'm cared about if something bad would happen to me, a future where people will be there to support me on a big day. To tell me how proud they are of me.

Just someone to call me because I'm simply 4 minutes late for dinner, and they're worried.

Just someone to hug me because I'm having a bad day, and they want to comfort me.

There's a massive creature invisible to the rest of humanity, hiding in the corners of my mind and is blocking my way out.

I can't describe it, no one understands anyway. They laugh. They don't thinks it's anything serious. I'm only a teenager, after all.

'What kind of things could actually cause you any stress?' they ask trying to contain their laughter, oblivious and naive.

That thing is like a shadow. It follows me everywhere I go - and I can't get it to leave. It won't leave me alone and I need help.

I know I do.

I try and try to push it away, I try to scream at it - scream untill my voice dies out - but it won't move. I don't know if it will ever move - if it will ever free me from it's deadly grasp.

I'm drowning, alone and cold in deep dark waters. The waves keep coming, continuously washing over my head and dragging me deeper towards the ground - beneath the layers of lies.

And I think I've just hit rock bottom.

Why won't no one notice how I'm slowly dying. Slowly but surely.