~Chapter 9: Pax~

I walk quietly over the beach with my flip-flops in my hand

I walk quietly over the beach with my flip-flops in my hand. The water just doesn't touch my feet, because it's low tide. I feel the sand tickling under my feet. The waves gently sway up and down and the sky is clear blue.

I walk towards the water. Every time I am on the beach, I feel the attraction with the water and it only gets stronger when I am in the water.

The water seems to call me, to beckon. And every time my skin comes into contact with the salt water, I feel like I'm forgetting everything. It feels like I'm in a hallucination, a good sleep.

I carefully insert the end of my toes into the water. It feels cold, but at the same time warm.

I have a deep sigh of relief. I am so excited to go swimming now, to feel the water around my whole body. But I'm not well prepared and didn't bring any clothes.

It was an impulsive action of mine to go to the beach. Halfway through school I called in sick and left, not that I'm really sick. But the gentleman behind the reception doesn't know that, he is the same man who had welcomed us so openly on our arrival.

He asked if he should call Mitch to take me home, but I quickly rejected it. I need some time for myself, to think about and produce what has happened over the past few months.

My whole life was turned over in one fell swoop.

After the break I would have a test for which I didn't learn. I would only further disappoint Mitch if he saw my grade. And I don't want that. I don't want to feel guilty anymore.

So I left for the test.

I don't know how I ended up on the beach, but this is the place where I can find my rest. There's no one around here.

I am alone.

A ring suddenly goes off. My hand grabs my pocket, which contains my phone. Theo and Samantha have both given us a phone, so we can call each other and also call them.

I can't imagine any nicer people. They give us so much and we can give nothing in return. And even then they give us things.

Shortly I see on my display Mitch stand, after which I record and the device at my ear.

"L?", Mitch's voice echoes through the device. The concern is good to hear.

Always the worried Mitch.

It wouldn't surprise me, that the man behind the reception has informed Mitch as soon as possible. And has said that I have called in sick.

"Yes?"

"Should I come home? I heard from the reception that you called in sick."

I want to say no right away, but that sounds too striking. So I say, "No, you don't. You stay at school, I know you don't want to miss any lessons," I cough gently.