What IS that?

Alfred was currently sitting on the floor of the little cave he lived in. It wasn't like most caves in the area, it was well furnished, with couches and chairs. The normal things. But Alfred himself wasn't normal, he had bird wings. Big beautiful orange and blue wings.

They were currently protruding from his shoulder blade areas, falling soundlessly onto the ground and letting soft particles of dust dance around them whenever he made a movement. He let out a soft sigh.

"God I'm so bored..."

He stood up, wiping off a little bit of dust that had collected on his bomber jacket. He let himself remember for a second on how he obtained it, smiling at the memories.

Walking over to the caves entrance, he thought he saw something in the distance, but quickly brushed it off. After all, for his whole life almost nothing had been in this area. Barely any animals came passing by, so he was quite starved. On that thought, he decided on hunting for a fish or something. He remembered there was in fact a lake nearby, as always, so he decided upon heading out to that.

His wings suddenly doubled in length as he stretched them, no longer dragging along the stone floors. He heard the popping of a few joints as he did so, stretching his arms up to try to gain a few more of the satisfying sounds.

There were none.

A disappointed sigh left his slightly parted lips. He shrugged, before stepping over a few stray twigs to the mouth of his home. There was no hesitation in his step, as he believed himself to be a very experienced flier, as he walked calmly off the edge.

He let himself fall for a few seconds before opening his large wings and letting the wind catch them. Almost immediately the force against his wings propelled him into the air, and he was soaring through the sky.

He breathed in the fresh air that surrounded him, and smiled down at the forest that lay below. A large bird suddenly shot out from the leaves a one particularly large tree, and steadied itself beside Alfred.

"Oh! Hey Freedom!"

Freedom was Alfred's eagle. Alfred doesn't know why Freedom follows him everywhere whenever he goes for a flight, or even how she's still alive. After all, Alfred is 243 years old. Somehow, Freedom had been there for him for as long as he can remember. Which was at the age of 6. Quite a long time ago.

At some point in time during Alfred's thinking, he had passed by his destination, the lake, and continued flying North. Towards the large mountain range that was, well, large. The avian realized his blunder just as he reached the base of one of the peaks, and decided to just look.

"Yo Freedom. Ever think about what's on the other side?"

"CAAAAWWWW!" The eagle screeched in response.

"Just look at it! I've always wanted to fly over it. But I've never made it a mile without needing to turn back."

Freedom already knew this. He knew that, but he just wanted to talk. He didn't like the silence.

"Imagine what's on the other side! I desert, a valley, some kind of magical kingdom! That would be super cool! What do you think Freedom?"

Alfred looked to where the bird was.

"Freedom?"

"CAWWWWWW!"

Alfred looked up, surprised to see that his bird friend was flying against the steep mountain side.

"Freedom wait up!"

Alfred flapped his powerful wings twice, catching up wit he his eagle within a few seconds.