More Words

231.03.29 | 9:46 p.m.

Newt shrugged. "I was almost back, close to the door. I was lucky Minho heard me and came to get me through the door just before it closed." He took a deep breath and released it through his nose in one long go, to calm himself down. This incident was not two weeks ago now, and the memory of the horrible creature hacking and slicing at him with all it's vicious gadgets still haunted him. And the fear... "But at least I did not get stung."

"Stung like that Beetle Blade?"

Newt laughed, but it was no merry laughter. "You die from the sting. Unless you get the Grief Serum in time."

"A Grief Serum. Sounds a bit magical, but okay. It's like the antidote you need after being bitten by a snake, yes?"

"Something like that."

"And what are you not telling me?"

Newt looked at her. This girl was sharp. And she had some insight into human nature. He winced. "Not nice. They go through the Changing. I can't describe it, honestly. Takes several days of immense pain. And somehow they regain some of their memories. Depressing ones, I take it. They are never the same again."

She pursed her lips and pushed her jaw a little forward as she considered this. "I see."

Some more time was passed in thoughtful silence, until Newt decided that he had to go back now. Only then the girl repeated her question: "Soo... Why is it forbidden to enter the Maze?"

"Huh? Did you not listen?"

"How many Gladers are eager to enter the Maze? And how many of those refrain from doing so because some fellow Gladers watch over Rule No. 1?"

Newt opened his mouth, but she went on: "Why not simply put up a sign, saying [The Maze is dangerous. Beware of Grievers]? Most of the Gladers will happily stay in the Glade, and the others will help to explore – why not? The more the better."

"Because the Runners do their job most effectively. Won't get better by Baggers and Builders getting between their feet."

She took a couple of minutes to reflect his answer. Then she said: "I want to be a Runner."

It did not come as a surprise.

--------------------

Author's Note: Sorry for my taking so long. And thanks for still reading. Please comment - I'd like to hear how you like it so far.