Chapter 3

At the other end of Cambridge, far away from Matt and his worries, Bekka stood in front of the mirror, drying her hair.

Half an hour ago, she had come home and had since tried to remove the red plasticine from her hair. With success!
No sticky red mass was left in her dark brown hair.

A loud growl from her stomach interrupted her. Oh dear - she had not eaten since noon today.

With a smile, she remembered the nice young man she had met in the cafeteria today.

Bekka let the meeting go through his head again. She had to see him again, that was for sure!

She left the bathroom and went to the kitchen to look for a suitable dinner.

The fridge was empty, with a glass of almond milk and a bottle of ketchup. There was a lonely packet of toast on the counter.

Bekka sighed. She had to go shopping again.

She turned off the lights and went to the dressing room to put on her shoes and coat.

Her cell phone rang.

'Hi?'

'Bekka, we have to talk!'

It was her mother. By her tone Bekka realized that it would be a long and exhausting conversation. No time for that!

'Mum, I, I don't have time now. Honestly not. I'll call you back, promised. We can talk about this later.'

'We're talking now.'

Although her mother was hundreds of miles away, her cold and dominant voice still made Bekka shudder.

'Alright.'

She clamped the phone between her cheek and shoulder to put on her shoes at the same time.

'What is it about?'

'Your father and I decided that you have to come back home. Studying nutrition is not good for you.'

Bekka could not believe what she heard. Were they back to this point again?

Her parents ran a law firm in southern Wales and had wanted to train Bekka as a lawyer since she was a child. They feared that neither Bekka nor her younger brother would ever take over the law firm, which would be the end of Dormit & Scotch.

'Mum, I can not go back. I have to study here.'

'Oh stop it, Bekka, you can also study here in Wales. You don't have to move hundreds of miles through the island to study law. And think about it, you could start working immediately after you graduate. You would not have to write applications, would you?'

Bekka felt boiling anger rise in her. As if applications were the only problem.
She would be trapped for life, in a job that doesn't interest her and doesn't make her happy.

'I'm not going to be a lawyer! I'll stay in Cambridge, no matter what you say!'

'We're not done yet, young lady ...' her mother began, but Bekka hung up angrily.

Breathing heavily, she put on her jacket.

What did her mother imagine ?!

Annoyed Bekka stomped out of the apartment, slammed the door behind her and stepped outside into the fresh autumn air.

Off to Sainsbury's, she thought, heading for the grocery store.