1

Ray only had one request in mind when his wife, Edwina, asked if he wanted anything.

×××

Edwina fixed the blanket on her husband. The cold blast of the airconditioning in the room did nothing to ease the burning conflict in Edwina's mind. Her own thoughts to monopolize what's rightfully hers, or to follow the will of her beloved husband clashed.

Ray turned to her with worried eyes that scanned his wife's loving face. A concerned look appeared on his features. A weak hand, an IV inserted in a vein, held up in an attempt to caress his wife's cheek. Didn't even come close, it fell. "Edwina? Love...?"

Wordlessly, she helped Ray to sit up on the bed. Arranged the pillow to be able to rest his back on the headboard comfortably. And again, she adjusted the blankets.

His eyes followed Edwina's hands. Always diligent on taking good care of him. Always putting him and their daughter above herself. Always.

He smiled when those hands rest on top of his on his lap. He shouldn't be worrying her too much, he thought. But as of late, age and fatigue caught on to him.

This was the second time Ray had an attack this year. Too many... far too many. And Edwina won't be surprised if any time soon...

Tears pooled in her eyes as she gazed at his husband's face. 'No, no...' she shook her head, 'Dear God, no...' she squeezed her Ray's hand, despite her own trembling.

Ray was on his lowest, and as the wife, she had to support him. Definitely, she had to support him. Whatever it was. No matter how crazy it was.

So, she bit her lip, held in a deep breath, and swallowed her pride. No matter how ridiculous her husband's wish was, she'd fulfill them. Like always.

"Anything," she bit her cheek to stop trembling, and with a small smile, Edwina continued, "anything for you, dear."

Her other hand swept stray hairs from Ray's slightly wrinkled forehead. On her hand, a simple gold wedding band. Sparse white hairs grew with the blacks. They both are getting old, but their Angelina's still young.

With the weak hand, Ray tried hard to reach out to her, succeeded. He wiped the cascading tears with a thumb. Then rest his palm on her cheek, and as always, his wife leaned on to the touch.

Ray thought he's lucky to have Edwina. That he didn't have to make her go through this.

But, he had to.

"Please," he breathed, "get along with Brettany."

---

Patient, Edwina assisted Ray to descend the grand curved stairs. Where the adjacent window was enclosed with floor to ceiling glass panels. Most natural lights came in through the glass, illuminated the exquisite mahogany furnishings of the foyer and waiting area. Maids were busy making finishing touches on the displays, and last-minute double-check cleaning, others, lined-up neatly by the entrance.

The massive garden of trees and flowers outside, as if a watercolor painting, was their backdrop, hand from there, the black car carrying Edwina's worst nightmare came into view.

Footstep, cane, fix footing.

Ray had difficulty with his left leg, due to his injury. Even though the doctor said he needed more rest, her husband insisted. It hurt her to see Ray willing to welcome her himself. She swallowed, forced herself a smile.

After they took the last step, she heard him mumbled a "thank you." Of course, Edwina shot him a smile. She didn't say anything when Ray, limping, struggled with his cane, as he walked to the foyer. The helpers made way for him, one offered a  hand, but he declined. "It's not that far," he said.