two.

The woman, who he learned to be Miss Danvers, escorted Jimmy to the main building, or maybe they were just going the same direction?

She stopped paying attention to him after the gate closed behind them. It seemed she didn't want to be here at all, the way she glared and spat at the other students as they made their way through. His impression of her worsened with every click of her heels, every wag of her finger. He hoped this would be his only encounter with her for the rest of his time here.

They finally entered the building, which was pretty much what he expected. A grand, open entryway with the tallest ceiling he'd ever seen (and probably ever will), a marble floor with the schools crest at the center, and a large wooden staircase donned with spirit flags.

He followed Miss Danvers to the office at the top of the staircase, and stopped and waited beneath the archway, right where the marble flooring became redwood. He took note of the many portraits of old, pinched-up men lining the walls, reading their whole personalities with a simple glance and fearing the day he might become like them, hair white and mousy, in an ill-fitting suit that made him feel like a monkey, throwing a check at any issue that might come his way.

Miss Danvers had made her way behind the desk, the plaque before her spelling her name with the word SECRETARY above it. As she took her seat, her eyes widened and her hand flew to her chest. She was genuinely shocked to find Jimmy standing there, almost like she had forgotten about him.

"Hello there, ma'am," he smiled as if he hadn't noticed.

The woman collected herself before pointing to a door on her left, "The headmaster is in there, now run along."

He approached the door, knocking twice before hearing an, "Enter." He did so, walking in to find another room that didn't surprise him. A bookshelf chock full of nothing interesting, a big boring globe, some crummy awards, more ugly portraits, and, oh, God, a hawk—dead and stuffed. "Ah, yes, you must be Hopkins."

"Uh-huh."

"What?"

Jimmy rolled his eyes, "I meant yes, sir."

"Very good! Now," Dr. Crabblesnitch grabbed a file from his desk reading HOPKINS, JAMES on the tab. Jimmy noticed his fat hairy fingers and began to take in the rest of him. His hair was graying, similar to Miss Danvers, and he seemed just as self-absorbed, uptight and entitled as she was. Big bushy brows sat over hooded brown eyes. Jimmy scowled. They weren't a warm, pretty brown like his mother's, they were an ugly, grimy brown, like dirt, like shit. Jimmy knew this man was full of it.

As the headmaster skimmed through Jimmy's file, the boy began to wonder if his nose could take his ego in a fight, what a beak. "You've done a lot of naughty things, haven't you," the man started. Oh, boy, Jimmy thought, I know where this is goin'. "Vandalism, graffiti, bad language, violent conduct, disrespecting staff, oh, I'm scared of you, Hopkins!" he mocked.

Jimmy slouched in his seat, "C'mon, gimme a break."

"Yes, a break! You know, I've never met a boy like you before! Never, in all my life!" Crabblesnitch squawked as he rose from his desk, slithering around the room like a serpent. "You're quite the nastiest little boy I've ever encountered! Tell me, why should I waste my time on you?"

"I don't know," Jimmy snapped back, all but vexed by his clown of a headmaster.

"Because it's my calling! It's what I do. You excel at causing trouble and I excel at fixing little boys like you by making you respectable members of our community." Crabblesnitch turned to face Jimmy, pointing his finger at him, "I've got a great feeling about you, boy. A feeling you and I are going to be great friends." He slowly inched towards the boy, an intimidating aura growing within him. "You keep that nose clean, or I'll clean it myself!"

He held Jimmy's gaze for a moment before snapping upright, slinking away yet again. The door opened to reveal Miss Danvers, carrying a tray of tea and a smile. "Ah," the headmaster sighed, "there you are."

His appraisal made her flutter, her eyes sparkled with endearment as she entered the room, "Hello, headmaster! I've brought your tea, just the way you like it!"

He took the cup, swirling it around as he breathed in the scent before taking a sip. "You truly are good to me, Miss Danvers."

"Oh, no more than you deserve, headmaster." Her voice oozed with sex, as did the look in the headmaster's eyes. Jimmy fought not to retch then and there.

"Take our new friend Hopkins, here, and show him around the school. Get him probably attired," Crabblesnitch ordered.

"Certainly, headmaster," beamed his secretary. She turned to their new student, her demeanor switching yet again, "Come along, boy. I haven't got all day."